20 replies to this topic

#1 Jump and Fun Party Rentals

Jump and Fun Party Rentals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hi all,

We are a smaller company specializing in backyard parties and smaller events. However, we were asked to participate in a large indoor event at the local convention center. We currently only have enough sand bags to support 4 concrete set ups, which has never been a problem in the past, because we maybe get one request a month for concrete. This event, however, we'll end up renting out the majority of our inventory. There will be 8 units set up, and possibly our large 22' slide. Right now, I can't see spending $600 on sand bags from Tent and Table and sand. Most likely, I'll need this weight for this event, then won't need it again for another year or two at the rate we're expanding. This lady also wants to barter an ad in a popular parents' magazine. This will obviously decrease our profit, so my question is: is there a SAFE way to make sand bags without spending an arm and a leg? I found the bags people would use to sand bag their house when there is a hurricane acomin'. We could possibly fill those and tie to them? Also, for the 22' slide, should I buy water barrels and fill them? I can get them locally for $15 a piece. What are everyone's thoughts?

• Julio@JumpOrang likes this

#2 My Bounce House Guy LLC

My Bounce House Guy LLC

MBG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

charge a sandbag fee to help cover your costs. many people do that anways.

Be sure to explain why it is so important so that if they go shopping for quotes then they will be on the alert for companies cutting corners with sandbags.

Also you could try spacewalksales.com  they sell sandbags as well

#3 Big Bounce Parties

Big Bounce Parties

Silicone Parts are Made for Toys!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

A Parent Magazine.....that's so 1999!

So when you do these outdoor set-ups how many pounds of sand do you have?

• SirBounce-A-Lot likes this

#4 monkeybouncehouse

monkeybouncehouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

Sandbags from tent and table and sand shouldn't cost more than $15, you will eventually need them in the future so just bite the bullet and buy them now. Never trade for print ads, you'll be working for free

#5 rufusjack

rufusjack

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Do not barter.

Bite the bullet and buy the sand bags even if the you do not make any money.

Skip the water barrels and use sandbags.  This is inside so there should be no wind. 

Do not charge extra for sand bags.  There are many advantages to indoor setups:  no worries about weather, breakdowns in the dark, cleaner units, etc.

• kenmartin and Deep South Party Rental like this

#6 bellasbouncies

bellasbouncies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Go to Home Depot or Menards and buy tube sand. Take rope, wrap it around the tube sand, and through the loops on the inflatables. 

Take the sandbags back the next day. 

But still charge the client. 

If you used water barrels, how would you get the water out indoors? 

And FYI, depending on the units, you don't need nearly as much weight indoors. Just proper supervision. 

• kenmartin and weekend warrior like this

#7 AHB

AHB

Forum Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6900 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hi all,

We are a smaller company specializing in backyard parties and smaller events. However, we were asked to participate in a large indoor event at the local convention center. We currently only have enough sand bags to support 4 concrete set ups, which has never been a problem in the past, because we maybe get one request a month for concrete. This event, however, we'll end up renting out the majority of our inventory. There will be 8 units set up, and possibly our large 22' slide. Right now, I can't see spending $600 on sand bags from Tent and Table and sand. Most likely, I'll need this weight for this event, then won't need it again for another year or two at the rate we're expanding. This lady also wants to barter an ad in a popular parents' magazine. This will obviously decrease our profit, so my question is: is there a SAFE way to make sand bags without spending an arm and a leg? I found the bags people would use to sand bag their house when there is a hurricane acomin'. We could possibly fill those and tie to them? Also, for the 22' slide, should I buy water barrels and fill them? I can get them locally for $15 a piece. What are everyone's thoughts?

See if you can rent them from a competitior. I had one do that two weeks ago. Rented 18 sandbags for a big set up about 40 minutes from my house.

#8 Rolling Thunder Games

Rolling Thunder Games

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1260 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

Buy the sandbags since you will eventually use them again. When we need bags, we check EBay auctions for TNT bags and make an offer. They have been really good to us on pricing. Then hopefully you can get 50 pound play sand at a discounted rate since summer is over and the store may want to make room for their winter crap. Our bags cost us about $15 each, which includes the TNT bag, a 50 pound bag of sand, and a quick link that is load rated. We purchased 24 bags for one event this summer that was canceled due to rain. We have used them since.

#9 the inflatable fun co.

the inflatable fun co.

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2116 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:45 AM

I agree with a sub rental. A local competitor or tent rental company could help you out.

#10 benfleet

benfleet

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Interesting topic - would be keen to see what everybody else does for indoor set ups.  For a lot of units as Bella's Bouncies said the weight needed is not the same as outdoors, what will eat sand bags will be the slide, it has to be enough weight to to stop the unit swaying around at the top etc.  Going back to another topic from years ago the advice was 'it's not just weight but resistance' so on a slippery floor those sand bags could move around.  Also read somewhere else that somebody puts water barrels on pallets and tethers to the pallets, you can't break a pallet so easily.  Having said that these fixes would leave you liable if anything did go wrong.

When our 18' slide has been inside, we test it out ourselves at the top giving it the worst treatment it should get on hire if those upper tethers aren't secure enough it rocks like crazy.  It's worth checking the venue out because at times there are fixed items where you will set that can be tied off to - previous disclaimer still applies.

#11 Rolling Thunder Games

Rolling Thunder Games

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1260 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'm curious how many pounds of sand others use for an 18' slide, or something comparable. I have used my new 68'OC for one indoor setup and used enough sand to make it stay in place, but I'm not so sure about an outdoor setup where the wind plays a role. Looking at buying an 18' dual lane slide and need to figure out how much sand it would take, or if I should keep it as staked only.

#12 rufusjack

rufusjack

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

If you have any units not being used, you could used them as anchors.  I have seen manufacturers use this method at the shows/expo.  

Edited by rufusjack, 01 October 2014 - 10:32 AM.

• Jump and Fun Party Rentals likes this

#13 benfleet

benfleet

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

If you have any units not being used, you could used them as anchors.  I have seen manufacturers use this method at the shows/expo.  

Now we all know what to do with our old units - genius.

As for how much weight to use - outside I'm more comfortable using exactly what the instruction manual (if there is one) suggests, inside it's just a case of making it stable no doubt that would fall foul of the instructions and you know who would be liable.

Edited by benfleet, 01 October 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#14 Jump and Fun Party Rentals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

That is a brilliant idea! This is why this forum is so awesome! I'll simply attach them to pallets, then strap the slide around the pallets. This will keep, not only the inflated units from slide, but also the anchoring weight. Brilliant! 

#15 rufusjack

rufusjack

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

As for how much weight to use - outside I'm more comfortable using exactly what the instruction manual (if there is one) suggests, inside it's just a case of making it stable no doubt that would fall foul of the instructions and you know who would be liable.

Unfortunately that is rare.  I only have one unit out of twenty or so items that specifies the exact amount of weight to be used per anchoring point.  

#16 Jump and Fun Party Rentals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Unfortunately that is rare.  I only have one unit out of twenty or so items that specifies the exact amount of weight to be used per anchoring point.  

That is what I am finding. The slide in question was manufactured by WWI and was included as part of a business acquisition. The old owner was unaware that there were any weight requirements. (scary, right?) I have tried to get in contact with Russ(?) at WWI, but with no luck. We do not set up this unit on concrete outdoors because of this. I feel it's an unnecessary risk. Inside, however, as long as we can safely secure it, I see no issues. We will thoroughly test it prior to it being used by the event patrons. Luckily, we will be setting up at least two days prior, so if we need to manufacture something to better secure it, there is ample time to do so. 

#17 benfleet

benfleet

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

That is what I am finding. The slide in question was manufactured by WWI and was included as part of a business acquisition. The old owner was unaware that there were any weight requirements. (scary, right?) I have tried to get in contact with Russ(?) at WWI, but with no luck. We do not set up this unit on concrete outdoors because of this. I feel it's an unnecessary risk. Inside, however, as long as we can safely secure it, I see no issues. We will thoroughly test it prior to it being used by the event patrons. Luckily, we will be setting up at least two days prior, so if we need to manufacture something to better secure it, there is ample time to do so. 

I know - there is a lot to be said for companies that provide the correct instructions every time without fail, like wise companies that have those sewn on instruction panels that they are supposed to fill in should fill them in - it's not very helpful when max occupancy etc. is left blank.

#18 let's party va

let's party va

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

If you have a firehouse subs locally you can purchase their used 5 gallon pickle buckets($3) and fill them with cement and a long eye hook.  just be sure to use some type of anchoring to secure the eye hook. The problem with these is they are heavy weigh around 105 or more but are cheap to make around $10. they work great and I use mine more often than my sandbags.  I also use the water barrels for outdoor events but would not use them for indoors.  have never charged a "sandbag Fee" customers hate being nickeled and dimed to death

#19 Dk-Rents

Dk-Rents

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

when I have my 27 ft slide out on concrete I use almost 1000 lbs to secure it atleast.

Inside, it would be like half or so, just to make sure it is stable and I would use any item I could that is available in the venue that is fixed to the building or so.

And yes, I started asking a small fee when doing setups on hard surface (thank you IO), and then I give this as discount (sometimes). Everybody happy lol.

• SirBounce-A-Lot likes this

#20 Bouncesmart

Bouncesmart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:44 AM

i use sand bags for certain situations and water barrels for others. The water barrels have an up side and a down side clearly. IAPPA is a great place to buy the sand bags. Tent and table had them for $7 in 2017. I bought many. haha and you can fit 20 of them in your bag for the flight home and wont have to pay an over weight bag fee :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users