Photo

"Stakes" What is your preference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Poll: What stakes you use (102 member(s) have cast votes)

What Type of stakes you use ?

1. Hook Stakes (47 votes [46.08%])

Percentage of vote: 46.08%

2. Loop Stakes (11 votes [10.78%])

Percentage of vote: 10.78%

3. Auger Stakes (4 votes [3.92%])

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

4. Single Head Stakes (25 votes [24.51%])

Percentage of vote: 24.51%

5. Double Head Stakes (15 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

How long are your stakes?

1. 12" (21 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

2. 18" (54 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

3. 24" (14 votes [13.73%])

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

4. 30" (6 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. 36" (2 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

6. 42" (3 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

7. 43" + (2 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

What diameter are your stakes?

1. 1/2" (29 votes [28.43%])

Percentage of vote: 28.43%

2. 5/8" (40 votes [39.22%])

Percentage of vote: 39.22%

3. 3/4" (13 votes [12.75%])

Percentage of vote: 12.75%

4. 1" (13 votes [12.75%])

5. 1 1/8" (3 votes [2.94%])

6. 1 1/4" (3 votes [2.94%])

7. Bigger than 1 1/4" (1 votes [0.98%])

Percentage of vote: 0.98%

Type of stake?

1. Smooth (80 votes [78.43%])

Percentage of vote: 78.43%

2. Rebar (9 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

3. other (13 votes [12.75%])

Prefered Color

1. White (5 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

2. Black (5 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

3. Yellow (24 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

4. Red (3 votes [2.94%])

5. Blue (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Green (1 votes [0.98%])

Percentage of vote: 0.98%

7. florescent (6 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

8. No Color (Bare Metal) (58 votes [56.86%])

Percentage of vote: 56.86%

Vote

#1 ShowTime Inflatable

ShowTime Inflatable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Everyone knows staking down your equipment is very important and could save you legal problems if it is done properly. There has been some talk about stakes here recently and i was wondering what other people use. I know everyone's dirt and regulations are differant, So i would like your feed back on what you use and need, My stakes are in the devolment stage right now and if your are interested in getting a test sample please PM me or email me at stakes@showtimeinflatable.com

Thanks Larry
ShowTime Inflatable

#2 GAAJ

GAAJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Can't go wrong with 18" Hogans, either hook or loop. Spend a little extra and sleep better at night!

-Rob

#3 LeapinLittleOnes

LeapinLittleOnes

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

Everyone knows staking down your equipment is very important and could save you legal problems if it is done properly. There has been some talk about stakes here recently and i was wondering what other people use. I know everyone's dirt and regulations are differant, So i would like your feed back on what you use and need, My stakes are in the devolment stage right now and if your are interested in getting a test sample please PM me or email me at stakes@showtimeinflatable.com

Thanks Larry
ShowTime Inflatable

I use the stakes that are shaped like a cork screw. Got them in Home Depot. They seem to work great

#4 BlasterBouncer.com

BlasterBouncer.com

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

I buy Hogan brand stakes from www.BouncerRepair.com. They sell them in smaller quantities and various sizes. Hogan hook top are the way to go.

#5 Guest_karnivale_*

Guest_karnivale_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

What knot do you use to tie to the stake?

#6 Guest_karnivale_*

Guest_karnivale_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

http://homepage.mac....tures/spray.pdf

A bucket O'stakes:Including an antique/original and rare father of all stakes.

Edited by karnivale, 17 May 2008 - 12:59 PM.

#7 AHB

AHB

Forum Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6900 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

I use 30"and 40" double headed stakes from Pioneer Tool and Forge. I like the bigger striking head vs the Hogans.

Here's their site
http://www.breakerst...doublehead.html

#8 Firemedic52

Firemedic52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:36 PM

I use 30"and 40" double headed stakes from Pioneer Tool and Forge. I like the bigger striking head vs the Hogans.

Here's their site
http://www.breakerst...doublehead.html

I don't use stakes at all. I use water bags from Happy Jump, but I filled them with sand instead of water. I put about 100lbs of sand in each one. This has been the trick for me so far. I don't have to worry about hitting sprinkler pipes or unground power lines with stakes. they are heavy to transport, but no kids have been able to budge one of my inflatables so far....

#9 Guest_karnivale_*

Guest_karnivale_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:18 AM

always use stakes when you can. Do not worry about kids moving the bounce, worry about the wind.

I have been driving stakes since before sprinklers were invented and have never hit a water pipe. I see the inflate business collapsing from too many people having no clue how to operate them properly. The CPSC and the insurance co. will say, no more.

I shake my head when I see some of the questions and practices here. I am not targeting this poster.

"I don't use stakes at all. I use water bags from Happy Jump, but I filled them with sand instead of water. I put about 100lbs of sand in each one. This has been the trick for me so far. I don't have to worry about hitting sprinkler pipes or unground power lines with stakes. they are heavy to transport, but no kids have been able to budge one of my inflatables so far....
[/quote]

#10 Firemedic52

Firemedic52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:15 AM

[quote name='Firemedic52' date='May 22 2008, 09:01 AM' post='42950']
[quote name='karnivale' date='May 22 2008, 05:18 AM' post='42934']
always use stakes when you can. Do not worry about kids moving the bounce, worry about the wind.

I have been driving stakes since before sprinklers were invented and have never hit a water pipe. I see the inflate business collapsing from too many people having no clue how to operate them properly. The CPSC and the insurance co. will say, no more.

I shake my head when I see some of the questions and practices here. I am not targeting this poster.

"I don't use stakes at all. I use water bags from Happy Jump, but I filled them with sand instead of water. I put about 100lbs of sand in each one. This has been the trick for me so far. I don't have to worry about hitting sprinkler pipes or unground power lines with stakes. they are heavy to transport, but no kids have been able to budge one of my inflatables so far....

I don't get what you mean by not targeting me, since you quoted my post? I don't know where you are but in Florida 99% of homes have under ground sprinklers, and the customers don't want stakes pounded in their yard. I'm a Firefighter and know all to well the dangers of under ground utilities. Wind with the sand bags is not a problem at all, I have cleaned mine in 25mph gusts and with the sand bags they didn't move an inch. You would shake your head off if you pounded an under ground power line, trust me I think what I'm doing is much better for me then using stakes................ I can't understand why you would state "Do not worry about kids moving the bounce" They all try to tip it or move it when they get board of jumping.

I forgot to mention that in SW Florida we have what they call "call before you dig" that includes driving stakes acording to them. If you don't call and you hit a phone line or cable line or anything else, you can be fined ($500.00) or arrested. Not to mention it takes them forever to come out and mark the ground.

#11 RickC

RickC

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

I use 12" Army Surplus stakes that are a piece of tapered flat aluminium, bent into a V shape to retain it's strength - they easily hold as much as a 24" round stake would. plus - easy in, easy out. I attach the loop from the bounce house to a 2000lb cap snap link (the kind used for gym equipment). On loose or sandy soil or gravel these probably would not work well, but have never had to install in such ground yet..

#12 Dragonstrom

Dragonstrom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

Hi Guys. I don't mean to offend anyone either but I also shook my head when I read that post. I know you are trying to be safe and avoid utility lines. But I live in Texas. Our weather and wind is similar to Florida. I've had 100lbs of sand on each corner (as you describe) of a bounce house setup on cement, for a total of 400 lbs of sand. And let me just say that 400lbs of sand is not only HARD on the body to transport all of the time but it is absolutely NO match for the wind!

I can guarantee you that 30-40 mph can easily glide your bounce house and sand across the driveway with no problem. I've watched it happen! I was amazed! I am even willing to bet that 20-25 mph straight line winds will do the same. I've never seen wind move stakes. I use a variety of stakes, usually one straight and one spiral on each corner. Never seen it move, not even when setup on a slope. Granted you shouldn't be operating in that kind of wind but you never know when a gust will come up.

While you want to avoid sprinkler systems and utility lines, safety of riders is more important.

I've also never hit a pipe. If you stake slow, you can feel/hear when you are coming up on one (at least that has been my experience, so far so good). I always figure that those who hit pipes are men (no offense) and are doing the MANLY muscle-pounds on those stakes. If you stake like that, you won't have time to feel pipes. I may be a woman and stake slow, but the job gets done without disaster :rofl:
  • Bonnie and Dshock like this

#13 Castleman

Castleman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hi Guys. I don't mean to offend anyone either but I also shook my head when I read that post. I know you are trying to be safe and avoid utility lines. But I live in Texas. Our weather and wind is similar to Florida. I've had 100lbs of sand on each corner (as you describe) of a bounce house setup on cement, for a total of 400 lbs of sand. And let me just say that 400lbs of sand is not only HARD on the body to transport all of the time but it is absolutely NO match for the wind!

I can guarantee you that 30-40 mph can easily glide your bounce house and sand across the driveway with no problem. I've watched it happen! I was amazed! I am even willing to bet that 20-25 mph straight line winds will do the same. I've never seen wind move stakes. I use a variety of stakes, usually one straight and one spiral on each corner. Never seen it move, not even when setup on a slope. Granted you shouldn't be operating in that kind of wind but you never know when a gust will come up.

While you want to avoid sprinkler systems and utility lines, safety of riders is more important.

I've also never hit a pipe. If you stake slow, you can feel/hear when you are coming up on one (at least that has been my experience, so far so good). I always figure that those who hit pipes are men (no offense) and are doing the MANLY muscle-pounds on those stakes. If you stake like that, you won't have time to feel pipes. I may be a woman and stake slow, but the job gets done without disaster ;)

Hay Guys
Time is money and we deliver six bouncers on a trailer per crew. That's 4 bags per bounce which is a total of 2,400 pounds of sand ! It's hard to haul butt with that kind of weigh.

#14 RickC

RickC

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

I use 12" Army Surplus stakes that are a piece of tapered flat aluminium, bent into a V shape to retain it's strength - they easily hold as much as a 24" round stake would. plus - easy in, easy out. I attach the loop from the bounce house to a 2000lb cap snap link (the kind used for gym equipment). On loose or sandy soil or gravel these probably would not work well, but have never had to install in such ground yet..

Now that i've been using the 18" candy canes for a while, i'd say the candy canes are way better than the v shaped aluminum ones. I just found a bunch at a surplus store for $1.50 each so i'm retiring the aluminum ones...besides the aluminum was starting to mushroom badly.

#15 PROBIRD

PROBIRD

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

5/8 rebar x 10 feet = 5 hook stakes at 1.50 each

Want em longer , cut them longer, but good luk pulling them back out....LOL

#16 Magicbounce

Magicbounce

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

What knot do you use to tie to the stake?

I was told by Ninja Jump that I didn't need to tie a strap from the anchor point to the stake. They wrote me a letter on their letterhead to that effect that I keep on file.

#17 Magicbounce

Magicbounce

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

Sprinkler lines are easy to avoid...next year I need to do a better job telling my guys how to figure out where they are......don't stake within a foot of the curb!

For those of you that do they have a simple invention that only costs a few bucks and is super easy to install.
Posted Image

#18 dbrigs

dbrigs

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2803 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:25 PM

What I do is take my 18" hook stakes and hammer each corner into the ground at a 45 degree angle. I then put 75# sandbags on top of the two stakes closest to the entrance. When its really windy I'll put sandbags on top of all stakes. Its a little extra work but it keeps the keiki's (kids) from stubbing their toe and adds the extra umph to hold the unit down. Also I've never seen any kids move those sandbags as they aren't much fun to play with. I've never seen anyone else in Maui do this but that's just how I roll.

#19 Magicbounce

Magicbounce

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

I use the big ole stakes from CEC and put orange safety cones over the top...Posted Image

#20 Dk-Rents

Dk-Rents

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

I do the same as magicbounce but with one difference.

The tie goes through the top of the safety kone, in that way it is not possible to remove the kone from the stake without making it loose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users