#1 AkaReaper

AkaReaper

Senior Admin

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7870 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:46 AM

Worth reading. Grab some coffee.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long post. But, it seems like one I need to make after watching quite a few people in this business expand and grow. This can be done in the wrong way, and there are some things you need to keep in check or failure is a sure result.

A business plan is the best thing you can have. I don't mean a general idea of what you want to do, or how you would like to grow, but an actual written plan outlining all of your purchases, expenses, marketing plans, projected revenue and yearly expected growth. This should encompass at least 3 years, and preferably 5. Consider inflation, losses, equipment replacement and cash reserves. Stick to it. Leave room for both CONTROLLED expansion and REDUCTION. Yes, sometimes you have to reduce the size of your business.

Cash or credit? The easiest way to buy gear is to whip out the plastic and expect to pay for it later. Its our nature and we do it to self satisfy our desire to "Have it now". We expect to pay it off after we earn the money but thats the lure into the trap. It is too easy to spend that money, make the minimum payment and eventually realize you are stuck with a big bill. For a small start up, maybe 3-5 thousand tops, it might be ok, beyond that I think its trouble.

So, cash is great. But where do you get it? A lot of guys I know don't have it. But, they have a few toys laying around the house. This is yet another trap. Its nice to have the cash to spend, but where did that cash come from? If you sell a car that you owned, for lets say 10 grand, and buy 10 grand worth of stuff, you can say your equipmewnt is all paid for. In some respect that is true, but you only have the equipment now instead of having the car AND the equipment. It was only a trade off. Nothing more. it does not put you ahead of the game. Our goal as business owners is to generate revenue AND keep our stuff, LOL. Avoid selling anything to pay for equipment if you have too. I know start ups are slightly different, but control how big you start and you will be ok.

Earnings well spent! This in my opinion is the best way to do it. Resist the urge to treat yourself or take the money and run. Don't do it. Pay for only those expenses that are incurred during business operations. I mean, grab some lunch once in awhile, or some pop, just don't run out and start buying 'Wants", purchase only "needs". With this money in the bank, as you grow with your business plan, you have the capital to purchase expansion equipment, pay your taxes, take care of equipment repairs that pop up and all teh important aspects of a successful business. Purchasing equipment with only the money you have earned gives you peace of mind and you don't owe anybody anything.

Taxes. Working for yourself costs a fortune. Taxes for us is outrageous. Make 20 grand, buy 20 grand in equipment and its not the total wash we think it is. We still have to pay federal and state income tax to an extent on that money earned, and if you spend it all, you may find yourself in deep trouble. I get audited all the time. This is by far my least favorite experience. These people are well trained. They know how to work the numbers better than every single one of us. They will look into every dime you have coming and going, and dig deeper and deeper if they find ANY discrepancy. So watch yourself in that aspect. I'll buy this, buy that and write it off. Its a tad more complex than that.

Insurance. If you have a policy that covers you for 50 thousand in gross revenue, make sure you add insurance if you earn more than that. I'll only report this much, and save myself. Let an insurance company audit your books, drop you for not disclosing true numbers, and then try and find another company to cover you. I made this, I made that, and your agent is watching what you made saying hmmnnnn. Thats more than what he is insured for. Do it right all the time.

June. Busiest month around for us. Probably the same for most in this area, maybe everywhere. We all hate to refuse business, and it seems like we could make a killing by soaking it all up. Another pitfall. Does it make sense to pay extra insurance, purchase gear, and use it for one month? Turn this away. Chances are it will sit most of the time. Only so many units can be handled by one company, andstriving to buy more just to cover grad season will lead to late deliveries, cancelled deliveries, upset customers and a bad name and reputation. All for what? One busy month? Rethink it folks.

This just touches on a few issues. I'm seeing too many people want to be like so and so, do what so and so is doing, buy what this company has, and you need to develop your own plan and use input to help guide you, nothing more. What works for some, does not work for everyone. I do not disclose all of our business ops for a reason. It isures our success in our market. So trying to do what someone else does can lead to trouble because you may not have all the info. Just be careful is all. I want to see everyone enjoy and succeed in this business.
  • Brian S., vidmagas, Roxborough Bounce and 18 others like this

#2 jump-o-leeen

jump-o-leeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:19 AM

Worth reading. Grab some coffee.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long post. But, it seems like one I need to make after watching quite a few people in this business expand and grow. This can be done in the wrong way, and there are some things you need to keep in check or failure is a sure result.

A business plan is the best thing you can have. I don't mean a general idea of what you want to do, or how you would like to grow, but an actual written plan outlining all of your purchases, expenses, marketing plans, projected revenue and yearly expected growth. This should encompass at least 3 years, and preferably 5. Consider inflation, losses, equipment replacement and cash reserves. Stick to it. Leave room for both CONTROLLED expansion and REDUCTION. Yes, sometimes you have to reduce the size of your business.

Cash or credit? The easiest way to buy gear is to whip out the plastic and expect to pay for it later. Its our nature and we do it to self satisfy our desire to "Have it now". We expect to pay it off after we earn the money but thats the lure into the trap. It is too easy to spend that money, make the minimum payment and eventually realize you are stuck with a big bill. For a small start up, maybe 3-5 thousand tops, it might be ok, beyond that I think its trouble.

So, cash is great. But where do you get it? A lot of guys I know don't have it. But, they have a few toys laying around the house. This is yet another trap. Its nice to have the cash to spend, but where did that cash come from? If you sell a car that you owned, for lets say 10 grand, and buy 10 grand worth of stuff, you can say your equipmewnt is all paid for. In some respect that is true, but you only have the equipment now instead of having the car AND the equipment. It was only a trade off. Nothing more. it does not put you ahead of the game. Our goal as business owners is to generate revenue AND keep our stuff, LOL. Avoid selling anything to pay for equipment if you have too. I know start ups are slightly different, but control how big you start and you will be ok.

Earnings well spent! This in my opinion is the best way to do it. Resist the urge to treat yourself or take the money and run. Don't do it. Pay for only those expenses that are incurred during business operations. I mean, grab some lunch once in awhile, or some pop, just don't run out and start buying 'Wants", purchase only "needs". With this money in the bank, as you grow with your business plan, you have the capital to purchase expansion equipment, pay your taxes, take care of equipment repairs that pop up and all teh important aspects of a successful business. Purchasing equipment with only the money you have earned gives you peace of mind and you don't owe anybody anything.

Taxes. Working for yourself costs a fortune. Taxes for us is outrageous. Make 20 grand, buy 20 grand in equipment and its not the total wash we think it is. We still have to pay federal and state income tax to an extent on that money earned, and if you spend it all, you may find yourself in deep trouble. I get audited all the time. This is by far my least favorite experience. These people are well trained. They know how to work the numbers better than every single one of us. They will look into every dime you have coming and going, and dig deeper and deeper if they find ANY discrepancy. So watch yourself in that aspect. I'll buy this, buy that and write it off. Its a tad more complex than that.

Insurance. If you have a policy that covers you for 50 thousand in gross revenue, make sure you add insurance if you earn more than that. I'll only report this much, and save myself. Let an insurance company audit your books, drop you for not disclosing true numbers, and then try and find another company to cover you. I made this, I made that, and your agent is watching what you made saying hmmnnnn. Thats more than what he is insured for. Do it right all the time.

June. Busiest month around for us. Probably the same for most in this area, maybe everywhere. We all hate to refuse business, and it seems like we could make a killing by soaking it all up. Another pitfall. Does it make sense to pay extra insurance, purchase gear, and use it for one month? Turn this away. Chances are it will sit most of the time. Only so many units can be handled by one company, andstriving to buy more just to cover grad season will lead to late deliveries, cancelled deliveries, upset customers and a bad name and reputation. All for what? One busy month? Rethink it folks.

This just touches on a few issues. I'm seeing too many people want to be like so and so, do what so and so is doing, buy what this company has, and you need to develop your own plan and use input to help guide you, nothing more. What works for some, does not work for everyone. I do not disclose all of our business ops for a reason. It isures our success in our market. So trying to do what someone else does can lead to trouble because you may not have all the info. Just be careful is all. I want to see everyone enjoy and succeed in this business.

What a GREAT post. Not the fun stuff to talk about but probably the most important!!!! Everyone should read this. This is true with any start up buisness. Thank you for sharing.
David
  • TBP likes this

#3 AHB

AHB

Forum Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6900 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

Cash is King! Pay as you go! If you have something happen and have to sell out you wont be in a bind. Take a tax and accounting course to learn about the tax side of the biz. Great post REAPER!

#4 poposparties

poposparties

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

Matt, I had two cups of coffee while reading that one! LOL It was a great post. Just to elaborate a bit. I loved what you said about June. I believe this is where a lot of startups get into trouble around here. They have a great month and then they begin to think big. Most of the time you will see their stuff for sale at auction in November. I believe that you grow either to diversify and capture a different type or part of a market. This would be with add-ons or things to rent during the winter months, or by adding to your existing inventory. I believe you should only do the latter when you are exceeding your expectations on a month by month basis for 4 to 6 months. That is my two cents worth. Again, thanks for the post, Matt. Somewhat sobering but much needed. POPO

#5 wadesgames

wadesgames

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

That was a great post. So many people think this is such a easy business to get in to. I think they all need come on down south and help setup or teardown a event in the afternoon with no shade with temps in the 90's. I am bugging my son the accountant to help me make some decitions about expanding. I hate the paper work and keeping up with receipts.

#6 The Starz

The Starz

Yuuuuuup

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4435 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:25 PM

I agree with that whole post! I started with a Loan and a Credit Card and Iam keeping it under control. When I went to IAAPA this past year I had a Credit Card with me that had NO LIMIT and guess how much was on it when I came back? NOTHING! The only time my card was used was at the Hotel and Northwest Airlines. I need a new slide and I saved the money to get it (Now I have to call Ed) But I rather use Cash or a Check not Plastic...I have to use plastic when placing my Glass Ware Orders on line but you get what I mean....

One Company I used to work for before I branced on my own was Cedar Fair the owners of Cedar Point/Michigans Adventure who know who well they just paid cash for 5 amusement parks they bought no loans no nothing just Cash!!! I wanna say it was 1.24 Billion I wish I had that much. But I paid $12,000.00 cash for a another company I out bought once!

Nice post Matt and I think this can be a Wake up call for some people!

#7 A Rock'n Party

A Rock'n Party

Forum Junkie! / CEO iInflatables

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

GREAT POST!!!

#8 bouncersunlimited

bouncersunlimited

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Great post
Thanks!
Brent

#9 Guest_antbake_*

Guest_antbake_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:17 AM

What are fare rates to charge for rental?

How much is insurance generally on a 1 - 2 moon bounce inventory business / startup??

#10 RSMoonwalks

RSMoonwalks

Roy-G (RSMoonwalks-RETIRED)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:31 AM

antbake, that would depend on where you are located.......& what are your state requirments.

#11 JumpJump&Joy

JumpJump&Joy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

Just read it and I must say these should be the opening words of the forum....As always
THANK YOU!

#12 ACP

ACP

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4643 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Thank you! Good post

#13 jumpinjaxparty

jumpinjaxparty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

This is a great post and should be required reading for any new or existing company. Good job AKA hope you aren't a hunter and pecker. If you are this must have taken a couple of hours to post! lol

#14 AkaReaper

AkaReaper

Senior Admin

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7870 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:09 AM

LOL, hours? How about days. Thank you for the comp.

#15 Savage_Party_Rentals_TX

Savage_Party_Rentals_TX

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

great post its always best to seperate personal needs from business ventures, after all so many parties to book, so much money to make.

#16 PartyWright

PartyWright

PartyWright.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

Great read.

#17 jumper

jumper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

Great post , I am learn more from this article.

#18 TexasSuperJumps

TexasSuperJumps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:43 PM

I worked for a rental company in college and kept in touch with him. He told me his biggest regret is growing off of customer requests and not sticking with his business plan. He had 300+ seat tents that would go up on Thursday, inflatables on the weekend, break down tents on Monday, clean them tues/wed and go back at it again on Thursday. No rest and no time to enjoy. He ended selling out and made a profit, but at a big cost. I am glad to hear of the advice to grow off of cash and not credit to grow a company.
He started with on dinosaur inflatabel for $700 and turned it into $100,000 in 4 years!
  • floatingcastles likes this

#19 wcnut

wcnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

Reaper,

Thanks for the great guidance, especially the taxes and insurance parts. My brother has owned this company for 8 years and built a loyal customer base then began to get to busy to answer the phone so asked me for help. Now, I'm no genius but feel I have a level head and feel I do not make rash business decisions. After some calculated moves we are now sold out each weekend and never late (knock on wood). I have been involved for just about a year now. Your advice reaffirmed I am on the right track and have planned well for the future. Now it's time to write out that official business plan!

Thanks again!

#20 Ameenah

Ameenah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

Thank you great advice
www.partymoonbounce.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users