23 replies to this topic

#1 flteach

flteach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:22 AM

Questions
1. Is there a clown school in South Florida? Does anyone know?
2. Our clowns make $125 an hour and sometimes we can't get one.
3. I am a teacher, so i know how to set up a routine.
4. How hard is it to make those balloons and do some magic and face painting?
5. Any suggestions on how to be a good clown will be helpful.
Thanks to all!
Diana :yahoo:

#2 JustBouncinAround

JustBouncinAround

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:01 AM

How to be a clown! SEE MICHAEL!!

Just Kidding.

As far as Balloon Art and Face Painting. Grab some books, my son picked it up in no time.

Good Luck.

#3 Michael82574

Michael82574

Rental Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3419 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:21 AM

Sean is the resident clown here! Any tips sean?

#4 ADB

ADB

Has No Life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

I'd have to agree with JustBouncinAround. Pick up some books about balloon sculpting and face painting.

Find a clown costume and clown name your comfortable with and you'll be fine.

For reasonably priced balloons try http://www.tmyers.com/ They've also got books.

Amazon is also a good place for balloon sculpting books.

- - - - -

I too have thought about being a clown. They make darn good money. I've done pretty good with balloon sculpting and I've thought about a costume....I'm still afriad I won't know what to do....LOL. I definently would be more comfortable if I went to "clown college"....LOL.

and I know I've seen clown books too.

- - - - - -

On another note.... I starting doing balloon sculpting at home.... I was planning on bringing some balloons along and make a balloon sculpture or two for the birthday child....that added special touch!

#5 Michael82574

Michael82574

Rental Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3419 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

I would love to be able to make balloon animals and things just for fun! What is a must have? Do they have DVDs?

#6 Dale

Dale

Bounce-a-holic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

I would love to be able to make balloon animals and things just for fun! What is a must have? Do they have DVDs?

Yea there are dvd's for balloon sculpting. They helped me out more than the books did. Actually seeing it I think makes it easier.

#7 Michael82574

Michael82574

Rental Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3419 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

Feel free to burn me a few copies of the different ones you have! LOL I will gladly pay for shipping! :yahoo:

#8 vslg1

vslg1

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1486 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:03 PM

I started out doing a horror clown one Halloween...I decided I enjoyed scaring the B-Jesus out of the kids...so I decided I try it...

Searched all over for clown schools...but at the time I was employed full time and couldn't devote the time to going away for that much time...There may be some a clown school or two left in Florida...Check the Sarasota area...Ringling was cutting them out and sending everyone to Baraboo, Wisconsin and the Minnesota area the last time I checked...

I ended up at a community college...there was a circus arts organization there...which put on a not-for-profit circus each year for the community...(for the last 32 years) Everybody volunteered...It was a great experience...I did it for 4 years...It takes a lot to put on a circus...And the volunteers handled everything from stage lighting to sound...to rigging the big top...We basically transformed a college gymnasium into a circus tent...We handled concessions and all...They had everything that a regular circus would have except live animals...I of course, hung out with the clowns...and even though most of our time was spent rehearsing skits for the actual circus...the lead clowns would devote the first 1/2 to 45 minutes per rehearsal to developing skills...such as makeup...gags, paradibility, how to act big...costuming, character development, balloons...etc...so I picked up a ton of knowledge...

Since then, I've learned most of my balloon work from books and videos...once you get good at the dog...your life will transform into a neverending quest to learn more...I've never face painted...and I've been clowning for about 9 years...I've just never been good at drawing or painting...and that's on a piece of paper that's sitting still...so imagine what my stick figures might look like on a moving face...not so good...

I've also attended various semimars, lectures, workshops and conferences...and they provide a wealth of knowledge as well...
Little things...like a professional clown or at least professional by peer standards would never wear a multi-colored wig...and a blue nose is typically worn by gay clowns...

There are 4 types of clowns...

1)White faced - (Bozo for those of you that remember or are familiar with him) White faced clowns, traditionally, are the jokesters/pranksters and usually get the last laugh...

2)Auguste (pronounced Aw Goose) (Cookie from the Bozo Show) More of a flesh colored clown...usually the butt of the jokes that the white faced clown is doing...(kinda mirrors the racial divide we face in society)

3)Tramp/Hobo - Need I say more

4)Character clowns - i.e. fireman, police, nurse, magician, etc...

I started as an Auguste clown because I wanted something that wouldn't require me to wear so much makeup...and I kinda had the skin color already...and because I wanted to incorporate my goatee into my design...otherwise if I take it off, I look like a muppet outside of makeup and costume...I'm currently working on going with less makeup...and becoming more of a family entertainer...as opposed to a clown...

I usually get between $150 - $200 for a show...I never quote by the hour...cause some shows are 45 minutes, some are 1:15 ...I usually start with some dancing...a magic show and end with balloons...

You'll find mixed philosphies on a lot of things...such as eating in costume (which I never do...) certain things are no nos...which I'm sure you can imagine...drinking, smoking...etc...but I've seen both from other clowns...

I will go into stores sometimes...esp. after a show...I might go in McDonalds or the gas station...usually where I pass out a ton of cards...

You can feel free to ask more questions, or pm me if you'd like more info...

#9 vslg1

vslg1

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1486 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

Best beginner books to get in my opinion...

Capt. Visual's Big Book of Balloon Art...

There's two versions...one is holiday oriented...and goes through each month and shows instructions on how to make things for each holiday...

#10 JustBouncinAround

JustBouncinAround

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

I got my son two balloon art books. One of them is "Balloon Carttons and other Favorites" by Aaron Hsu-Flanders.

For Face Painting, I got him some of the Snazaroo stuff.

#11 Dale

Dale

Bounce-a-holic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

Feel free to burn me a few copies of the different ones you have! LOL I will gladly pay for shipping! :yahoo:

Hey Cheapo!!!!!

LaRocksTry this out. :yahoo:

#12 Bouncing4Fun

Bouncing4Fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:39 AM

The general feeling of customers I've talked to has been a preference for a clown without a white face.
Gene

#13 Michael82574

Michael82574

Rental Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3419 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:18 AM

Hey Cheapo!!!!!

LaRocksTry this out. :rofl:

$30 a DVD I'm CHEAP!!!!!!! :yahoo:

#14 JustBouncinAround

JustBouncinAround

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:33 AM

Use the coupon!!!!! :yahoo:

#15 Michael82574

Michael82574

Rental Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3419 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:59 AM

I did and asked for someone to burn me some! LOL

#16 flteach

flteach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

Thank you to everyone for all the valuable advice, I will start with the book and go from there. I am sorry it took so long to get back, I am a full time teacher also.

A friend of mine came up to me the other day, we had gotten our Master's degree together a few years back. She asked me if I wanted to go for my Phd with her and I told her , that i was going to clown school, she thought i was joking, untill i told her what clowns make. (lol) It got her thinking!
Have a great weekend!
Diana :aikido:

#17 ADB

ADB

Has No Life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:09 PM

I was going through some old emails and found one with a link to BALLOON TWISTING DVDS.

http://diamondstorm....roducts-DVD.htm

#18 flteach

flteach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:02 AM

I was going through some old emails and found one with a link to BALLOON TWISTING DVDS.

http://diamondstorm....roducts-DVD.htm

Thank you I will look that up :D
ps i love all the little icons here :D
Diana

#19 Kinkade Ent.

Kinkade Ent.

Jump For Joy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:27 AM

Also, Zoltan's son Greg is an amazing balloon twister. He goes to competitions all the time.

#20 A Rock'n Party

A Rock'n Party

Forum Junkie! / CEO iInflatables

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

I just found this post and I'm also A clown and I just wanted to say that If your thinking of becoming an entertainer I would really sujest going to W.R.C.A www.westregionclownassociation.org its the best convension around thats ware I learned alot of my stuff. Its from november 4-11 I think its in lauglin Nv. they have an airport on the other side of the river about 5min away. We have the BEST BALLOON ARTISTS AND FACE PAINTERS IN THE WORLD COME. their is someone their named Robert Ramirez everyone knows him he Is one of the best teachers their and he will take all the time with you that you need for about every hour you spend with him you would have to spend about 10 with someone else to learn the same thing. And If you dont want to be a clown come anyway and you can learn how to do balloon and be a facepainter. Also I want to say that world clown association has the best entertainer insurance around its only $125 a year, also I would highly recomend that if you face paint to only use paradise makeup its really eay to use and if you e-mail me I can get you a good price. And if you do balloons you should only use qualatex balloons and if your just starting out and dont know what size to buy Its 260's DONT BUY YOUR BALLOONS FROM PARTY CITY. Also If you see body glitter at the store dont buy it because in most cases Its bad ONLY BUY COSMETIC GRADE GLITTER AND PUT SOME ON YOUR SKIN IF YOU CAN FEEL IT ON YOUR SKIN DONT BUY IT.

COME TO THE CONVENSION

also you could use snazaroo, and I like ed chee's balloon dvd's

the first four clowns are bad a the others are good

And now you just dont need a costume and a name to be a clown you have to feel what your doing because clowning is just like snow on christmas and never never land. And its not easy to do it buy yourself to know if what you are doing is good or bad COME TO WRCA

Attached Files

Edited by A Rock'n Party, 09 April 2006 - 06:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users