Photo

Internet Retailing 101

Best Answer SD Bouncers , 28 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

Worked like a charm! Thanks (again) for the helping out, I really appreciate your willingness to share your expertise with rookies like me...

Go to the full post

139 replies to this topic

#41 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

Thanks Blake, hope all is going well for you guys in NC. Maybe we'll see ya in Orlando this year...
  • Randyplage likes this

#42 allstarinflatables

allstarinflatables

Dish Washer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2604 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Need to PIN this thread. SEO questions come up everyday.
  • AtlantaLarry likes this

#43 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hi Bryce, hope all is going well. Pinning a thread is above my pay grade but have at it if you can get the guys to do it. I know I've been absent for a bit, but it is valuable info and sometimes when I read some of the stuff floating around here I just have to shake my head and jump back in.

Stay tuned all...I'm working on a new article to post here for this weekend:

Kickstarting New Business Using Adwords

All the best,

#44 bellasbouncies

bellasbouncies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Welcome back Dave. You've always had great info for people. Glad to hear your business is doing well.

#45 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Kickstarting New Business Using Adwords

Could it be that I've heard from some of you that things have slowed lately? Or maybe you'd like to expand your customer base a bit? Even though our businesses are a bit different, we're really in the same industry. So when you make money, in a round about way I'll make money. So "Pass it on" as they say... The first two and a half quarters this year we have been so busy, I couldn't catch a break. Then comes the end of June and things start slowing. (This happens for us every year, but it's good for my story :rolleyes: ) With that in mind, here's a tip for kickstarting business whenever you feel the need justifies it. I'll be making a few assumtions: 1.) that you have a basic understanding of Google adwords. 2.) That you have Google Analylitics or equivalent 3.) That you have spent some time understanding your triggering keywords. If you've never used #1, check it out. If you're not already doing #2 & #3, then re-read prior posts in this thread and get busy...

Here's the deal, On any given day, hour, or minute someone some where is looking for what you sell. This is a plan to get those customers, even during slow periods. When its slow, there are only so many dollars on the table. Make sure you're getting an unfair share of the pot!

When you create an Ad Campaign on Google there are some pretty powerful tools they've created for your use. In this scenario we're going to exploit just about all of them. What we're going to do is create a very specific ad campaign for use when your normal channels are not performing at their best. This does cost a few bucks, but I won't be telling you, you have to spend any specific amount, so even if it's $2, the plan still works. One of the tools Google provideds is CPC estimators on specific keywords and segmenting of target markets to a very specific geographic area. Make sure you use this tools to look at your keywords. It will tell whether the words can expect a fair amount of traffic and what you can expect to pay for it.
Now for my business I hit the entire USA, and for obvious reasons I don't spend money advertising in Uganda or Nigeria. (They always want a deal :rofl: ) You will want to limit your ads to your specific service are. There's a tool for that as well.

The idea here is to create an Ad Campaign that you can turn off and on when ever you like and be fairly confident that if you set it up right it will meet the law of averages and return the business for your effort. As you may or may not know, when you set your daily spend amount in Google adwords, you see it as "how much I'll spend per day". Well Google takes that figure and bases it on a monthly spend amount. Its just a little mathmatical difference, but if you look at your daily spend on Google as the campaign runs, (Let's your daily spend is $5) it could be $4.75 or $5.75 depending on how the days searches shake out and number of days in the month. As a result, if you try this, you'll need to watch the current spend every day so you can keep a handle on your budget. I'll explain more as we go along.

Step 1. Keyword Selection

I know most of you have spent time building keywords for your web site traffic and this is about the same, except on Steriods. What you want to do is look at your site analytics; how are people searching for your services? Disregard direct traffic or any keywords that would result with combinations of your company name, domain, or stuff that would generally result in a 1st page result anyway. Think about words and or phrases folks would use when they're actually ready to lay down some cash. ie. "rent bounce house", "buy party supplies", etc... Make a list that is strong with solid ideas, it should not contain any "Well people might search for..." type junk. All though as you monitor the campaign you can always turn off keywords that were "hunches".

NOTE: You didn't hear this fom me, but using competitors names, web sites, etc. is fair game :pardon:

Now that you have your list together, let's look at it again. Take those keywords and make them geographically specific phrases> "rent bounce house" would become "rent bounce house in Austin" or "Austin Bounce House Rentals", etc. Hopefully you get the idea. Also make sure you duplicate those phrases in different phrase order and grammar. Like the following:

rent bounce house in Austin
austin bouce house rental
rental bounce house austin tx

Do that for every keyword as appropriate. Don't feel like you need to have a big'ole honkin' list, but just get it to the point where you think it's comprehensive.

Step 1. Create a Campaign

If you don't have a Google Adwords account, set one up. You don't have to spend anything to setup an account and start checking out what's there. Then when you feel comfortable, you have an idea of what's going on and you'll know where stuff is and what to click. Those of you that have an adwords account, click on "Create New Campaign". Don't try to short cut this and use an old one. Start fresh ~ get the creative juices flowing. For mine I call the campaign "SCI Direct". I know now that I can turn it on for 3 or 4 days and I will get the business contacts to make it worth my effort. I have been doing this strategy for about 3 years now. It works fine 90% of the time.

At this point in the campaign creation Google will say "who do you want to target?" This where you need to be very thoughtful about your selection. Under the heading of Locations and Languages there will be an option for "Let me choose". Select that will then allow you to enter a specific location like "Austin TX". To the right you'll also see a link that says "Nearby" if you are servicing communities around a specific community, you can click that link and it will allow you to add additional locations. Notice as you add locations it shows the universal population for that community. Try to build your territory population as large as possible.

Step 2. Set your Budget

This is the most important part of this strategy. This is not a "Fire and Forget" missle. When you first start this campaign...

YOU MUST CHECK YOUR SPEND AMOUNT THOUGHOUT THE FIRST DAY! Did I make that clear enough? Please re-read...

During your first day or two of the campaign, you will be watching traffic and comapring that to "Number of incoming phone calls, emails, web site traffic, etc." What you'll be trying to find is your company's "Tipping Point", or the amount of money to spend to get the desired result. For me, I set my spend at $25 to $30 a day. You may not be able to afford to do that every day for a month. But for a few days of strong ads to catch some quick business it makes sense. And like I said earlier, if you amount is $2 let it be. I base my spend amount on much traffic I need vs. my average cost per click, which runs about $2 to $2.50 per click. In a smaller geographic area, your ads may only cost 30 cents. it just depends.

Step 3. Create your Ad

This is another area where you'll want to spend sometime thinking about your creative. Headline should include some reference to the related keyword and the text should be clear and to the point. After you've written your best Ad... write another best and another... Make variations on a theme. One of the nice things about Adwords Control Panel is that you can see the response to the ad variations and then select the one that has the strongest click thru rate. Show your ads to other folks and see what they think, you'd be surprised by what an outside opinon can do.

Step 4. Adjust Settings

The final step is to make your selections campaign settings. I generally just leave the recommended settings as they are unless I see something in the reports later on that I don't like. For example: Sometimes Google's content network can be a bit rediculous. For us, we have all kinds of versions of the keyword "Climbing Wall" in our list. So in Google's automated craziness they farm out our Ads to the gardening folks, in other words "Plants climbing walls" stupid yes, but that's what happens when human eyes don't look at everything. So for us, folks just naturally think a Magnetic climbing wall is pretty interesting so they just click on the ads to see what its all about, not knowing that they could have just cost me a $1.50 to take care of their curiosity. So watch what's going on and modify as needed

So finally, Let'er rip! The first time you do this, check the reports every couple of hours. see which ads are working best for Click thru. What keywords are working, not just with impressions but look at the impressions vs click rate. You want the highest percentage here. One thing that Google does not do very well is segment day parts. So when you check your ad report, make notes on amount of change at given times. Over a period of time you'll learn things like whether your buyers are more active during the day, evening , or overnight. This will allow you in the future to decide to start running your ads at different times. For me, I never run my ads on weekends. People like you guys (my customers) are all out working their butts off, so All's I get is kids and lookyloos. I like to hit first thing Monday morning and shut them off Thrusday night.

This is not a static plan. This is a campaign that you should constantly be evaluating, adjusting daily spend, modifying ad content, etc. Adjust your keyword list as it seems appropriate. No sense keeping a keyword on your list that rarely gets impressions, let alone clicks. Understanding how Google makes it's selections is key. Google wants to spend as much of your money as possible, so they will throw your ads up whenever they can to hit the daily goal. A click thru is a click thru to them and they really don't care if you got the gig or not. It's up to you to police what words their pushing, make sure your message is clear, and to turn the campaign off and on as "YOU" see fit. Ignore Google's nice little reminders "None of your Google Ads are showing?? Can we do anything to help???" Just say nope...

Good luck!
  • LeapingLoonies likes this

#46 Guest_mkaraffa_*

Guest_mkaraffa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for your advise! I believe this is the true reason for this forum, to help one another.

#47 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Quick Easy Sitemaps - A must for Google Indexing Your Whole Site

Since I've been helping out a lot with my friend's at MWF on their web sites, I've notice that many folks still don't have authentic sitemaps for their web sites. And just in case you thought having text on your page that says, "Sitemap", followed by links to your key pages, that would be wrong... A real sitemap is a xml code file that resides in the root of your web site that contains page/location information that search engines use to understand where all the pages to your site are. Then they can regularly crawl those pages for currency and updates, then index them appropriately. In the past if you didn't know how to code in xml or didn't have the ability to use the Python Dynamic Generators then you were probably out of luck unless you had someone who knew what was going on.

Secondly, I've posted before about signing up for a Google Webmaster Tools account. If you really want to know what Google thinks about your web site and how your customers are really finding you, then this is a must. But don't worry, you don't have to really be a Webmaster to understand how it works or how to use the tools. (For info on Webmaster Tools see the earlier post in the thread) My reason for mentioning it here, is that there are two tools that get you quick response from Google as to them finding and understanding your Sitemap. In addition, I've poked around through enough of your websites to see that because many of you use dynamically generated templates from your host provider, there are usually a bunch of folders, pages and files contained in your sites that are old web pages never deleted, program folders that suck up seach engine energy, or just plane are mistake files. To direct search engines away from the mess, and to the appropriate files a Robot.txt file on the site takes care of the problem. For eaxample: you my have a folder on your site that you use to download or upload files to friends or customers. You don't want the search engines indexing something like that. That will just leave you open to a hacker attack. God forbid you have a folder or data file with customer information that's gettting indexed, that could really mean trouble.

All that being said... here's an easy fix. Go to: http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

Just follow the directions to create a great xml coded sitemap. Once you do, go through each line/section for each page. You'll want to delete and page sections that direct the search engine to pages that are not part of your intended structure. a page section looks like this:

<url>
<loc>http://www.spidercli.../News.htm</loc>
<lastmod>2012-07-08T23:30:08+00:00</lastmod>
<changefreq>weekly</changefreq>
<priority>0.80</priority>
</url>

To delete a page, just highlight from the open <url> to the close </url> and delete.
If it leaves a space or a open line once deleted, remove those as well so the file structure looks the same.

Then up load that file up to the root of your web site. Don't put it in a folder!

Then go to the Google Webmaster tools and browse to the Sitemap section. There you'll see a button to submit and verify your sitemap. Click the button and enter the url for your sitemap. It should look like this : http://www.yourwebsi...com/sitemap.xml
Click submit and in a few seconds Google comes back and says it's good and what pages are now included for indexing. EasypEASY!

Now while your there, if you are one of those that has a bunch of junk on your web site, take the time to use the Webmasters Robot.txt generator to create a robot file to keep Google out of your junk. Don't you hate it when somone one you don't even know is messin' with your junk? (Think of it as electronic TSA) Your Robot text file might look something like this:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /ImageDownload/
Disallow: /tCustom/
Disallow: /Customer-records/
Disallow: /Customer-email_friend.php
Disallow: /Customer-form_submit.php

Save that text file and upload to the root of your web site just like you did with the site map. You can then also use the Webmaster tools to make sure the Google boys & girls know that, that bottom drawer is off limits.

So...there ya go clean'em up and map it out so your SEO efforts are found and indexed correctly. Happy interneting :help:

All the best,

Edited by Spider_Climbing, 02 August 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#48 fido

fido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

just found this thread wow a ton of information Spider climbing thanks for all this great information. I need to make a pot of coffee an read the whole thread. I know I will be here for a bit.

#49 funlight

funlight

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yes Dave seems to be a class act (one of many in this forum) His product looks cool too (waiting for the off season to see if we can make it work with our business).

Edited by funlight, 05 August 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#50 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Making the Most of Facebook

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I come back here myself when I need to remember what I forgot. :blink:

I've been watch some of threads about folks trying to get facebook likes for their company facebook pages, so I wanted to share some ideas with you. A few years back while exhibiting at IAAPA, our booth was right across the isle from WDDonline. As a result, I had the chance to spend time talking with and getting to know Katie & Mark Bruno, owners of the company. It turns out, Katie is one of the country's leading experts on social media marketing. Her insights on best practices for using Facebook totally changed the way I looked at our facebook page.

First, speanding time getting everybody and anybody to like your page, while increasing numbers strokes the corporate ego, it really doesn't move the business needle at all. What really needs the effort is reaching out to those that are customers, and better yet those that could possibly become customers. For us, we have two distinct groups. Those that like to use our product/services (Kids) and those that might buy/rent our products. (Adults) So the question becomes, how do you capitalize on both to maximize the future of our businesses. I have no doubt this scenario probably is the same for you.

Facebook isn't like Google

Understanding the diffence in using Facebook versus Google is a key factor. Facebook does not base it's search on keywords as Google does. Rather all Facebook users are grouped into their various social circles, or groups. So the best thing you can do in using FB as a business tool is start identifying the different social identifiers that best describe your customer target. In other words, how do I reach and talk to those that move the business needle? Don't get me wrong the first group, (ID - Kids) they are important too. Believe it or not they are your brand ambassadors. They are the ones that will create the buzz about your company/services. So in a few, I'll get to how to incorporate them in to your strategy.

The second group, (ID-Adults) are the folks that open their wallets and that is what drives our bottom line. So now you have to ask yourself; what social identifiers create a link to these folks? Well the simple answer is, you gotta think like Facebook. Recently some of you may have seen our project with Sony Pictures for the release and premeire of the new Spider-man movie. We leveraged that tour at all the Walmarts across the country to hook up with hundreds of kids across the country that thought our climbing system was cool. How did that happen? Thanks for asking...

What we did was, create a FB ad for about 10 cents a click that targeted all Spiderman movie fans. Believe it or not, that lead to hundreds of thousands of fan groups hooked up in FB. We wrote a creative ad that talked about discovering the secrets behind the Spidy movie promotion, and abracadabra we get hundreds of kids and adults that really think our magnetic climbing system is way too cool. So not only did they like the page, but they created the buzz that drove folks to the Walmart locations to get the Spider Climbing experience.

So that being said, apply that to your target customer. One of the great things about FB is that it will breakdown the social rings by geography and social interest. First, make a geographic list for your target. Draw a circle on a map that encompasses your service area. Make a list of all the cities, and counties within the circle. Next, make a list of organizations or company types that match your customer target. Be sure to include annual events, shows, etc. that you know of or have worked in the past. Once you have a good long list of identifiers, Use the FB tools for creating an Ad. (Don't worry you don't actually have to spend money until your ready, and when you do, its' so cheap that if you spend $5 a week I'd be surprised.)

FB takes you through the market identifing process fairly well you can choose age group, location, and most of all interests. So when you get to the interest part, start typing in your target identifying words. EXAMPLE: Type "Chamber of Commerce", you'll probably find a number of groups in your area linked to the Chamber of Commerce office... Try typing "Akron Summer festival" (Akron is just an example city name, use your city names) You might find a group associated with organizing that annual event. Are you getting how this works? I hope so, cause I don't have the energy to list all the examples. The idea, is that you find the social groups that make up your target customers. Don't forget businesses. Just like your Facebook page, companies, especially big companies, usually have their own FB pages, and like yours, almost everybody that works for that company probably has liked, or visits the page regularly.

OK... so now you've found all these groups of potentials, what next? Start "liking" those group pages... That will open the door for you to usually post on their walls and at the very least keep you informed of what's happening within those organizations. The result is that you always get the headsup on things you want to know about. As things pop up on you news list you can place critical comments that offers up a service to meet their needs. It will also keep your company up front when the time comes. Hit the schools too...

Now back to the FB ad. Once you have create a good size list of target groups, spend time thinking about the creative text on the ad that invites curiousity. FB ads also allows you to incorporate a small image in your ad, so think about how to use that image to catch attention as well. I'll just tell you up front, your company logo probably isn't the best idea... The point is to get them curious enough to click through to your FB page. Now you can link the ad directly to your web site, but that will defeat the purpose. Getting your target customer to "Like" your page, creates a opportunity to always be in front them on a regular basis.

Finally, for this to work, you have to be ready for when folks start visiting your page and for when they like your page. So let's deal with the latter...When folks visit your FB Page they'll want to find interesting stuff that pushes them deeper into your timeline. That means lots of photos, comments, and events you've been a part of. LOtsa Eye-Candy! Ask polling questions on your timeline, like... what's coolest thing you ever saw at the fair?
a. A cow crapping in the street
b. Gladiator Joust
c. Mechanical Bull
...add your own

Get the idea? Give them things to get involved with, that will drive them to "Like" your page. They'll want to see what others say about what they say, and so on...

What to do once they "like" your FB Page

Now that you have folks "Like" your page, you have a direct open line to them for communication. Use it wisely. On a regular basis, (I like once a week) post something interesting to your wall. New photos, videos, cool story about something weird. Because that post will continue to be reposted on everybody's news timeline that liked your page. Here's a key point... you don't just want them to like your page, but yo want them "Talking about your page and posts". FB has a cool metric for tracking that. It's a great way to do a self-check on how you're doing. The most important thing to remember is have fun!!! Don't use it like a commercial avenue, use it like a company bullitin board.

I have a customer in Ohio that is great at using FB to drive business, Check out: http://www.facebook.com/LazerKraze
These folks do it well and are consistent with their postings. If you don't keep at, you'll lose those that get board and they'll "unlike" you just as fast, if they get board or feel like there's nothing interesting going on. Since you've already spent to getting each other here on MWF to like your page, and you've liked theirs, trade cool ideas to repost on your pages. EXAMPLE: Checkout this way FUNZONE solved dealing with the heat in Texas! then show a short video clips of kids splashing down the waterslide. Are you getting this?? I hope so, I'm running out of words :rofl:

Anyway, just thougth you should know...if you're gona do it, do it right. Life's short so make it count, don't spin your wheels on stuff that doesn't produce.

Oh yea... I almost forgot...These businesses you run... you didn't build them, somebody else did that :stinker:
I'm Barack Obama and I'm an idiot because I approved that message...
Maybe you can give the DNC a call and ask them who willing be working this project for you :rofl:

Sorry ... can't help myself.

All the best,

Edited by Spider_Climbing, 09 August 2012 - 10:30 AM.

• peddyr likes this

#51 peddyr

peddyr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

I am relatively new to the board and this is just my second year in the inflatable industry. It's funny how little you really know about things like SEO, websites and advertising in general until you run into someone like Dave from Spiderclimbing. I first reached out to Dave about a month ago because I was tired of paying a ton of $$ to google adwords. I was also pissed at my competator who has a crappy website that always shows up in the #1 or #2 position on Google while mine was buried. When you first talk to Dave it becomes obvious that not only does he REALLY know his stuff, he is a good guy and is easy to talk to. Having worked in the computer industry (tech support/software) I like to fancy myself as being "somewhat knowledgeable" when it comes to all things internet/computer related....until I met Dave. That said I never felt like Dave talked down to me. He explained things in a manner that was easy to comprehend and the steps/advice that he gave me on improving my advertising were easy to follow.

I also never realized how fractured my website really was until Dave got a hold of it. He didn't try and gouge me by suggesting $$$$'s worth of improvements. He knew what my budget was and quickly pointed out changes, that to my customers would seem minor, but on the back end of my page made a HUGE difference. I was so pleased with Dave's work that I would like to have him continue to make edits to my site going forward. In a sea of confusing often mixed messages about SEO and web page design, Dave is a voice of reason. If you are just starting out, and in need of SEO help, webpage design or general advice on the industry, Dave is your man. I can not wait to meet him in person and buy him the beer he so richly deserves. Thank you Dave!!!

#52 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Looking Inexpensive Editing Tools for your Web Site?

How about free? That'll work. Here are a couple of links to some descent programs you can use to edit and maintain your web sites, without having to use those clunky editors that come with your hosting service. The first is a WYSIWYG editor from Sea Monkey. WYSIWYG just means "What you see is what you get". This editor allows you to view the page in the WYSIWYG edit view which allows you to see the and edit the page in a presentation that's kind of like you'll see online, view and edit the html code directly, and then preview the page after changes are made without having to have it uploaded on the server. It allows you direct access with a click to validate your page code and host of other cool things not available to you "Drag and Droppers". You can also connect directly to your site, but since that's a bad idea I'm not going to tell you how. (If you really must know call me and after I berate you for bad decision making, I'll tell you :rofl: ) The better idea comes next...
When you open the program it first opens the SeaMonkey browser to the SeaMonkey.org home page. There you can always make sure you have the latest version of the download and you'll have access to pounds and pounds of knowledge base articles and a user forum. Great way to get free advive on how to get something done. This is great for you guys that have been waiting for days for that web geek you have maintaining your site to get around to making those text changes, images, or new links and pages. In addition, having access to edit the html meta tags directly is a big bonus to those of you that can't get at the code because of the minimalistic editors that come with your hosting package.

SeaMonkey Download: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

The second download is for WS FTP LE. This is a software program that makes a connection with your web server and allows you to download and upload files from your home computer to your web server. FTP just means "File transfer protocol". Not a big deal, just think of it as your windows explorer browser on steroids. On the left side are the files and folders on your computer and on the right side are the files and folders on your web site sever.

There are a number of benefits to using FTP....
  • You'll always have a current backup copy of your web site on your computer. So the next time a hurricane blows through and flattens your Host provider's building (and site server) you can be back in business in minutes rather days as they try to rebuild.
  • You can clean up the junk on your server that's been overlooked for decades, old images, defunct pages, and junk your host provider puts up there for who knows what.
  • You will finally have a complete mental picture of all the pages, and folders that make up your site. (I've seen a lot of your sites...yikes, some of you have some cleaning to do!) Your sever is just like your computer, keep junking it up old stuff and she'll slow down under the weight!
  • And last..(Answer to the bad idea above) you can practice your editing skills locally rather live until you get it right, Then when all looks great you can upload to the site.
Presto-change-o your a web geek! Most of you have access to your web sites server control panel (or cpanel). There you can usually find a prompt or instructions for setting up FTP access. If you can't find it on your own, just contact your host provider and they can probably getting you going with the three details you need: domain address (usually ftp.yourdomain.com) and a user name and password. Simple simple.

Here's the link to WS FTP LE: http://www.wsftple.com/

So there you have it, your own editing suite and it didn't cost you dime. If you have questions after playing with for a while let me know, I don't have all the answers but I can probably get you through most.

All the best,
  • LeapingLoonies likes this

#53 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

SEO Basics - Easy as One, Two, Three

I keep seeing questions pop up about SEO for your web sites and I go and check the sites, and darn if they all usually have the same issues. Keyword meta tags loaded to the gills with every possible keyword combination, descriptions that read more like a secondary keyword meta tag, and page content that... well... if minimalism is what you're going for, you are right on track. But the train left station and you're still on the tracks scratchin' your head. So I went back over the threads here and I thought for sure I had posted a basic SEO outline, and darn if I didn't. It was probably lost in some other tthread battling it out with some Know-it-all.

So here's the basic steps to get things on the right track at the right time.

Step One - Page Titles

From looking at most of the sites, I'm thinking no body ever stressed the point of how optimization works. Your page title is the first factor in a search spider evaluating what your page is about. This is probably the biggest mistake people make. Your page title should contain your highest priority keyword for that page. Now I say that specific page, because a good site seo plan is like an upside down tree. You got your roots at the top (Your primary keywords-home page), and that starts to branch out through to the leaves (Your other pages). That said, job one is to create a list of 10 to 12 must have keywords or key-phrases ("rentals" is a keyword, "bounce house rentals NY" is a key-phrase). Now that you have your list put them in order of priority. Most important to lesser importance. Now look at your list...what is #1? #2? #3? These 3 Keywords/phrases are your primary keywords and your home page should be optimized for those 3 first. Then look at the whole list again. Copy and paste the list in one big long line separated by commas into a MS word document. I say MS Word because if you go to the Review tab they have a nice word count feature that will give you the word count, but more importantly the "Character Count including Spaces". If your list is longer than 270 characters you're wasting your time. But don't fear, you'll be able to use all those additional words/phrases elsewhere.
Ok so you got your list. Maybe the top three looks like this: "party equipment rentals Chicago", "bounce house rentals Chicago", "rent water slide Chicago"
So now your new page title might look something like this:

Chicago Party Equipment & Bounce House Rentals | Rent Water Slides | www.ChicagoBounce.com

Now just so we're clear the page title is not the file name like index.html or default.html, its the title that shows up on the top of the browser window. I think most of you know that but just in case...
On to step 2.

Step Two - "Page" Meta Description

The meta description is not just another convenient place to stick keywords (well in a way it is, but don't confuse me :pardon: ) This description should be about 270 characters long, should be written in a way that is understandable and should contain your "page" primary keywords. As the search spider progresses from your page title, to your description, it is evaluating; one, is the title and the description related by associated keywords and do the keywords relate to what the description says about the page? A score is given... or properly said it is "weighted"
So like above your description might look like this

ChicagoBounce.com is Chicago IL premiere provider of party equipment, bounce house, and water slide rentals. Serving the greater Chicago area with inflatable moonwalks, popcorn machines and so much more. (203 characters with spaces, but you should get the idea.)

Now take that list of keywords and put that evaluated list into the Keyword meta tag field. Listed in priority, seperated by commas. Again...after 270 characters you're just wasting time, so make sure the list has "THE" most important words. At this point I'm assuming we're working on the home page, so this list now becomes your "Global Keywords" for the site.

Step Three - Weighted Content

Take a step back and try looking at the page as a Spider would. (No pun intended :rofl: )

Whats the first thing it comes across on the page? A bunch of nice images? (or not so nice) some bouncy gif or flash file? I ask because as I review a lot of your web sites every week, if we take a look at the page from behind (html code or php, whatever) how far down the page do I have to go before I find some actual text that relates to the page title? The keyword list? Most importantly the description? I think that might be a tough question, but in reality it's pretty important. So when a good web designer, like Reggie or someone else that give a crap about their work sets up your page, they create locations in the design to allow even the most graphic rich page a spot for quick spider reference as to content. It might be a little bar at the top or clear space that has actual text somewhere.

Step Four - Page Content

When most people check out a new page the first thing they do is check out the look. Yea that's important, but let me ask you something...how many of you have come to me and said, "Man my competitor has the crappiest looking web site and he is always ranked above me in the search results." Hmm... interesting. True statement? If you honestly said yes, then let's look at why.

The graphics weren't so hot, but the page title was laid out properly and darn if he didn't have a paragraph or two that completely describes who their company is, what they provide, and how they plan on providing it. The primary keywords from the page title, meta description, and keyword list are mentioned in the text a number of times. In different combinations, various plural senses, and in hyperlinks.

Now we look a little closer, and darn the few crappy photos he does have? By-Gosh they all have alt text associated with the image that reference the keywords, and the hyperlinks also have alt tags that do as well. Get were I'm going with this?

So if you're still with me at this point, step back and look at your site's home page. Yea I know it's a pain in the butt but you have to do the work. There's no way around it. Buying every Tom, Dick and Harry's domain name this and domain name that isn't going to help one little rat's butt. You have to write out your SEO plan as laid out above and then "work" the plan.

Step Five - Home page is done, no what?

Treat every single page on your website like it was the home page, or better yet... it is it's own home page for a specific topic, isn't it? Now remember that two mile long list of keywords you had to start with? Take one page at a time from your site. Evaluate whether or not this is a category page, product page, or static company page. Make a list of all of them. An Excel spreadsheet will work great for this. Split up that big ole' list and assign each page it's list of primary keywords/phrases. For each page decide 1st, 2nd and 3rd most important keyword, and repeat the steps above for each page. Each page will probably only have 3 or 4 keyword/phrases, so to the end of each of those list add your "Global" keywords from the home page.

Create a new Title tag as you did for the Home page changing only the first section. Something like this:
(Assuming a Category page)

Chicago Bounce House Rentals | Rent Party Equipment and Supplies | www.ChicagoBounce.com

(Assuming Product page)

Giant Slash & Gash Water Slide | Party Equipment and Bounce House Rentals | www.ChicagoBounce.com

IMPORTANT NOTE about page descriptions

Each page needs to have a meta description that is unique to that page, so here is an easy way to take your work from the home page and use it throughout the site and still have it be unique.
Here is the description from the home page:

ChicagoBounce.com is Chicago IL premiere provider of party equipment, bounce house, and water slide rentals. Serving the greater Chicago area with inflatable moonwalks, popcorn machines and so much more.

Now by taking your primary keyword from the page you're working on, create a new unique description while still using your primary and global keywords: (Using the example Slash&Gash page)

Giant Slash & Gash Water Slide rentals from ChicagoBounce.com. Chicago IL premiere provider of party equipment, bounce house, and water slide rentals. Serving the greater Chicago area with inflatable moonwalks, popcorn machines and so much more.

Make sense? The road to just plain ole' basic SEO is an easy concept, is there more to it, heck yea! But if you're not doing the basics then how the heck can you expect to do the fancy stuff.
I hope this helps ya'll get goin'. The season is just about wrapping up for a lot of you so now is a good time to get a plan together. If you need help you guys know how to find me... and if you get lost along the way...

I'll be at booth #108 on the wall in the Coin Ops section at IAAPA. Hope to see you in Orlando.

All the best,

#54 funlight

funlight

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

The list of web things I have to do at Christmas has just gotton longer.

Thanks again Dave.

#55 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Customers using Smart Phones to browse my site...Really??

Yeppers... more and more internet users are using their Iphone, Blackberry, Crunchberry, etc. to cruise the web these days. In fact reports say End-users’ expectations for mobile website performance keep rising. In a 2011 survey of 4,014 mobile web users 74% were only willing to wait 5 seconds or less for a single web page to load on their phone before leaving the site. I don't think I need to point out that the bouncer market's affinity for goofy scripts, free flashy wiggets and other unknown coded whatnots are very popular site additions. What i do need to point out, is that all that Glitz is usually a killer for mobile browsers.

Best check your sites for compatibility. Here are a few links where you can check your site:

http://validator.w3.org/mobile/

This tool checks to see how mobile-device-friendly your website is.

http://ready.mobi/la...sp?locale=en_EN

This is another online testing site that allows you to enter a URL so that it can perform a set of evaluations, including Page Test, Markup Test and Site Test of the web page.

http://mtld.mobi/emulator.php

The dotMobi emulator gives you a live preview of your site from a (fairly small, to be honest) range of different mobile phones. This mobile testing tool is great if you need to test your page on older mobile devices.

Good luck. Now's a good time for an overhaul, ya'll know where to find me. :rofl:

All the best,
  • SuperJump likes this

#56 SuperJump

SuperJump

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Customers using Smart Phones to browse my site...Really??

Yeppers... more and more internet users are using their Iphone, Blackberry, Crunchberry, etc. to cruise the web these days. In fact reports say End-users’ expectations for mobile website performance keep rising. In a 2011 survey of 4,014 mobile web users 74% were only willing to wait 5 seconds or less for a single web page to load on their phone before leaving the site. I don't think I need to point out that the bouncer market's affinity for goofy scripts, free flashy wiggets and other unknown coded whatnots are very popular site additions. What i do need to point out, is that all that Glitz is usually a killer for mobile browsers.

Best check your sites for compatibility. Here are a few links where you can check your site:

http://validator.w3.org/mobile/

This tool checks to see how mobile-device-friendly your website is.

http://ready.mobi/la...sp?locale=en_EN

This is another online testing site that allows you to enter a URL so that it can perform a set of evaluations, including Page Test, Markup Test and Site Test of the web page.

http://mtld.mobi/emulator.php

The dotMobi emulator gives you a live preview of your site from a (fairly small, to be honest) range of different mobile phones. This mobile testing tool is great if you need to test your page on older mobile devices.

Good luck. Now's a good time for an overhaul, ya'll know where to find me. :rofl:

All the best,

Great Info as always...

#57 Karscotdotcom

Karscotdotcom

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2396 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

More good stuff thanks!

#58 Tim_

Tim_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

A ton of great information in this thread - Thanks for your contributions again SC! 

#59 Jump N' Jam Inflatables

Jump N' Jam Inflatables

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi, I have a general questions.  I did my website myself through vistaprint.  It turned out pretty well and I get compliments all the time from customers so I am satisfied with the way it looks.  Since vistaprint is a template based service, I am not able to use things like google analytics.  Do you have experience with these types of sites.  Is there a way that I can get google analytics so that I can see what's working and what's not working for my site.

The site is www.jumpnjaminflatables.com

Thanks.

#60 SpiderWebDev

SpiderWebDev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hi Jump'n,

Give me call and we can talk it over. I'll need a little more info about which type of account you have at vistaprint and what your personal capabilities are.

But the simple answer is probably not. That's one of the big issues with these bargain basement website providers. They cater to the folks that don't really understand

what's going on (with all due respect). Nonetheless, I'd be happy to take a look and make some recommendations.

all the best,

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users