12 replies to this topic

#1 Skip Smith

Skip Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

We have been real busy through the summer season and have not had much opportunity to post. I finally took some time to look around again at the competition and what is going on with regulations in our state of Texas.

I noticed the Texas Dept of Insurance finally posted a list on their website of inflatable businesses that comply with the law and have their inflatables registered. With registration, this means the business has had their inflatables inspected and provided the Texas Dept of Insurance proof of insurance liability.

Just for grins, I did a google search in my area and Google listed 10 inflatable businesses including ours and we are the ONLY company that meets these requirements. I would guess that most of the businesses do not even carry insurance.

What really gets me is the company that does events at my sons school is not compliant. The company is a "Sponsoring Member" of the PTA.

Again, we have been busy this summer with about as much business we can handle. So this is not a complaint about not getting business. Its about everyone playing on the same level of play.

I think I am going to call the Texas Dept of Insurance and let them know what I have seen and ask them to explain to me why I should go through all the inspection stuff and registration if most people out there are not doing it.

I am actually glad they finally posted this list. At least now we know.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Sincerely,

Skip

#2 Incredibounce

Incredibounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'm the only inflatable company from Lubbock that I can find on both of their lists - several other Lubbock companies (rock wall, amusement places) are there. Unless I'm blind???

I've talked to several other inflatable companies here in town & they've all indicated that they've completed the process. So I'm wondering if TDI hasn't updated their list recently? Maybe people need to do some checking.

#3 fulltime

fulltime

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

Would you please post a link to the list

#4 Skip Smith

Skip Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

I did not see a date stamp on the PDF. I will go back and look.

The odds are not in favor of these inflatable businesses being compliant. When we are the only business on the list out of 10 inflatable businesses.

We have had calls from people looking for rentals in local parks and the city parks require proof of insurance before they will allow an inflatable. When the callers ask about our insurance, they seemed happy to finally find someone that has it. One caller told me the other companies play dumb and act like they did not know about the requirements in Texas. At least some customers are being educated in what the laws are for inflatables in Texas.

I am going to call the Texas Dept of Insurance on Monday and ask some questions.

Maybe we could get some of these inspectors to call on the inflatable companies and give them some grief.

Skip

#5 fulltime

fulltime

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

I found my sticker numbers, still looking for city list

Found insured list, it is not completely accurate. My insurance renewd 06/26/09 however my inspection stickers expire 09/30/09. I will be getting inspected in 2 weeks then my insurance info will be updated.

I am also glad there is now some place to check to make sure the field stays level

Edited by fulltime, 29 August 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#6 Skip Smith

Skip Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

Looked at the list again and it does have a date stamp. The current version has Aug 7, 2009. Unless some of these people have submitted in the last 3 weeks, I would say they are blowing smoke when they say they have completed the process.

If the Texas Dept of Insurance post the list and do nothing to bring people into compliance, the entire process will become pointless and being registered is useless.

Skip

#7 abc123

abc123

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

WOW! I think 98% of Texas in not insured. That is what I kept complaining when calling the TDI. Who was going to enforce this. I am amazed of the companies in my area that are not listed that "claim" they have insurance and MANY ON THIS FORUM FROM TEXAS THAT POST AND DO NOT!!!

Look, the insurance is for your protection and it is the LAW.

#8 Skip Smith

Skip Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

I go back to the thing that chaps me the most are businesses that are renting to schools like my son and daughters school. That company is not on the list. It is one thing to rent these things out to a family for a back yard party. Its another thing to take it out to a public place.

I am friends with the local police chief in my city and may take this up with him. I understand that local law enforcement can take care of this.

I am glad the Texas Dept of Insurance posted this list. That is the first step in Moving the Industry Forward in our area.

Maybe the legitimate operators in each city can get together and go after these people by sending letters to these schools and churches explaining and educating what the laws are now in Texas. This could be put on some formal letterhead. I dont know what the answer is, but we are probably going to have to find a way to police it on our own.

Skip

#9 Austin Moonwalks

Austin Moonwalks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

I disagree that a pdf on TDI's website will make a difference.
This whole issue has given me nothing but frustration over the past couple of years. I have met with several of my competitors in the Austin area to discuss the “voluntary compliance” attitude that seems to run rampant at TDI.
As you know, insurance is not cheap but is necessary to run a respectable business that keeps public safety in mind. The consumer does not care if we are insured or not and the average moonwalk owner in Texas will not get insured unless legally forced to comply. The $65 moonwalk on craigslist is very popular in our area. This obviously is from an uninsured individual that also does not pay taxes on this income and in most cases does not charge sales tax (slightly illegal).
My beef with TDI is the lack of enforcement. I have had conversations and exchanged emails with them over the past two years with zero results. They are well aware of who is insured and who is not. Nothing has been done. I do not want a high-profile tragedy to be the spark that gets the State to pay attention.
What seems to be the bottom line issue is that TDI does not have the resources to enforce the laws.

Rather than making this a 3 page post, I will get to my point.
I am considering putting up a website that is a petition for our local and state reps to provide the support for TDI to enforce the laws that are already on the books. We know once they start shutting down a few inflatable companies others will either comply or go away. We just have to get the ball rolling. Is there any interest in signing an online petition that we can take to our elected officials?

Looking forward to meeting many of you in Las Vegas

#10 abc123

abc123

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

I disagree that a pdf on TDI's website will make a difference.
This whole issue has given me nothing but frustration over the past couple of years. I have met with several of my competitors in the Austin area to discuss the "voluntary compliance" attitude that seems to run rampant at TDI.
As you know, insurance is not cheap but is necessary to run a respectable business that keeps public safety in mind. The consumer does not care if we are insured or not and the average moonwalk owner in Texas will not get insured unless legally forced to comply. The $65 moonwalk on craigslist is very popular in our area. This obviously is from an uninsured individual that also does not pay taxes on this income and in most cases does not charge sales tax (slightly illegal).
My beef with TDI is the lack of enforcement. I have had conversations and exchanged emails with them over the past two years with zero results. They are well aware of who is insured and who is not. Nothing has been done. I do not want a high-profile tragedy to be the spark that gets the State to pay attention.
What seems to be the bottom line issue is that TDI does not have the resources to enforce the laws.

Rather than making this a 3 page post, I will get to my point.
I am considering putting up a website that is a petition for our local and state reps to provide the support for TDI to enforce the laws that are already on the books. We know once they start shutting down a few inflatable companies others will either comply or go away. We just have to get the ball rolling. Is there any interest in signing an online petition that we can take to our elected officials?

Looking forward to meeting many of you in Las Vegas

#11 abc123

abc123

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:45 AM

Ditto, I have had same frustrations and conversations with TDI. I do not mind competition but I have several large companies I compete with that do not carry insurance along with indoor centers here that none are listed.

If they would just go into each city and shut someone down and not let re-open until they get insurance that is all it would take. All TDI wants is the easy money from us that already do things the right way before being forced.

WHERE DO I SIGN!!!

#12 fulltime

fulltime

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

I believe there should be a link from our web sites to the TDI list of insured and inspected companies.
http://www.tdi.state...xamusement.html This explains the law and links to compliant companies.

#13 AHB

AHB

Forum Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6618 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

Until TX enforces the rules and fines folks it wont change. It only started to change here in NC when the added fines and enforcement. NC could still do a better job of enforcement, but it's better than nothing. You gotta hit someone in the wallet to make them change or listen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users