13 replies to this topic

#1 a2fire2i

a2fire2i

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

I tried to search the forum, but couldnt find anything. Does anyone know a link or vid on how to patch a unit? I am trying to find some tear-aid but was just trying to read up on patching as well..

#2 Maximum Dolly

Maximum Dolly

http://www.MaximumDolly.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

Seems pretty easy, clean the area, scuff it up, apply the glue, precut your patch (make sure the edges are rounded or just a circle in general), apply patch and hold firm.

Just did one last weekend on our slide cover. we have alot of extra vinyl kits and glue worked pretty fast and held well, we patched from the back side.

#3 cpike

cpike

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

I've learned too patching with a circle works better, the corners don't start coming up. Tear aid might be a good quick fix for needing to patch something on site but in my experience it doesn't last very long and becomes gooey and messy when you go to remove it.

#4 B N

B N

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2268 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Everyone on this forum should have a heat gun and not the home depot one. Mine cost $300 from someone but it adhears the vinyl together forever.

Or the vinyl and glue and yes cut into circles

#5 bestjump

bestjump

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

When using glue, always apply to both surfaces and allow it to dry for 1-5 minutes until it's tacky and no longer liquidy. The pieces will stick together on contact and form a stronger bond once dry. If you try to apply the patch piece when the glue is still wet, it won't stick as good or bond as strong once completely dry. Also, apply the glue all the way to the edge of the patch, and overlap the area to be patch slightly so all edges will achieve a strong bond and not peel.

Edited by bestjump, 01 September 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#6 dbrigs

dbrigs

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2803 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

BN, I thought you only used your heat gun for those glitter bunny crafting projects you do in your spare time. You mean to tell me it's good for vinyl applications as well? And all this time I thought you were a serious crafter in your spare time! :D

#7 stinger

stinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

BOUNCE NATION Posted Today, 07:52 PM
Everyone on this forum should have a heat gun and not the home depot one. Mine cost $300 from someone but it adhears the vinyl together forever.

Where did you get your heat gun from? What brand? Does it have an LED of the temp? What temp do you use? Do you help the glue dry on both pieces with the gun and then again once glued together? You can share this info or pm I'm very interested in knowing.

Thanks

#8 Big Balloons

Big Balloons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hi,
The HH 66 glue is your best solution to repair rips and tears. I am assuming you are in the Tampa area, There is a supplier of the glue here
http://www.harrisstearns.com/
Its relatively innexpensive. Just dont inhale it. It kills brain cells and makes you go crazy!
Sean
:D

#9 Grow or Die

Grow or Die

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

I've learned too patching with a circle works better, the corners don't start coming up. Tear aid might be a good quick fix for needing to patch something on site but in my experience it doesn't last very long and becomes gooey and messy when you go to remove it.

Good tip with the circles. I did a few patches this last weekend (squares) and sure enough the corners are coming up a little. Another little MWF nugget of knowledge to use.

#10 B N

B N

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2268 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

BN, I thought you only used your heat gun for those glitter bunny crafting projects you do in your spare time. You mean to tell me it's good for vinyl applications as well? And all this time I thought you were a serious crafter in your spare time! :D

HaHA I didnt see this post first lololol. Good one but Ill will be selling my Glitter Bunnies at IAAPA this year.

We here in Buffalo need hobbies in the winter and thats not just spare time its 6 months of insanity. I do however go to school for plumbing electrical estimating and basketweaving :pardon:

#11 Tentandtable

Tentandtable

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:15 AM

HaHA I didnt see this post first lololol. Good one but Ill will be selling my Glitter Bunnies at IAAPA this year.

We here in Buffalo need hobbies in the winter and thats not just spare time its 6 months of insanity. I do however go to school for plumbing electrical estimating and basketweaving :pardon:

The gun you are looking for is a Leister Tri Arc welder, They work real well for permanent repairs to the units. They are expensive. But anyone who owns tents or multiple inflatables really needs to investigate these units, they weld the palstic so it is a permanent repair. Google leister and you will see a variety of the guns. You also want to buy a small roller, similar to a wallpaper seam roller to go with it. Buy a good roller, wood handle, rubber roller, with bearings, and them just get some spare vinyl to learn how to use it

#12 Tentandtable

Tentandtable

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

The gun you are looking for is a Leister Tri Arc welder, They work real well for permanent repairs to the units. They are expensive. But anyone who owns tents or multiple inflatables really needs to investigate these units, they weld the palstic so it is a permanent repair. Google leister and you will see a variety of the guns. You also want to buy a small roller, similar to a wallpaper seam roller to go with it. Buy a good roller, wood handle, rubber roller, with bearings, and them just get some spare vinyl to learn how to use it

Here is a link i found of how it works, http://www.youtube.c...=watch_response I installed a vinyl roof on our warehouse last year, it was a heavy vinyl, similar to bounce vinyl it i was about 24 to 26 oz and we used the same gun we use on our inflatables to seam the vinyl,, We had to go through training to be certified to install the roofing, but one properly welded, the roof has a 30 year warranty. So the same will hold true with the bouncers, once properly welded the repair will out last the unit.

#13 dbrigs

dbrigs

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2803 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

BN, I thought you only used your heat gun for those glitter bunny crafting projects you do in your spare time. You mean to tell me it's good for vinyl applications as well? And all this time I thought you were a serious crafter in your spare time! :derisive:

It's about time, I was waiting for a response haha. You still got me on the waiting list for those glitter bunnies? 14 hot pink ones for me, you know how popular those things are! Just had to get a jab in there for fun.

#14 stinger

stinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

BN, I thought you only used your heat gun for those glitter bunny crafting projects you do in your spare time. You mean to tell me it's good for vinyl applications as well? And all this time I thought you were a serious crafter in your spare time! :agree:

Here is a link i found of how it works, http://www.youtube.c...=watch_response I installed a vinyl roof on our warehouse last year, it was a heavy vinyl, similar to bounce vinyl it i was about 24 to 26 oz and we used the same gun we use on our inflatables to seam the vinyl,, We had to go through training to be certified to install the roofing, but one properly welded, the roof has a 30 year warranty. So the same will hold true with the bouncers, once properly welded the repair will out last the unit.

Great Info!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by ACP, 20 March 2011 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users