14 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph M.

Joseph M.

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

Seems the $100 dollar free delivery bounce house special is very popular for the slow season.

You have 30 minutes to take there order, answer questions, and call to confirm.
You have 20 minutets for the driver to load the bouncer, double check supplies, and leave home.
You need to arrive 1 hour prior to the 4 hour start time.
You have 30 minutes driving to the house.
You have 30 minutes, knocking on door, setting up unit, going over the safety rules.
You have 30 minutes drive back to shop, maybe you have other rentals, but since it's Tuesday more than likely nothing going on.
You have 30 minutes drive back to pickup equipment.
You have 30 minutes to pickup the unit.
You have 30 minutes drive back to shop.
You have 30 minutes to unload, put stuff away, and blow up and clean the unit.
You have to leave up overnight with the heat on, it was cold and rainy, so bouncer is wet.

You have close to 4 1/2 hours labor not including arriving early. Plus when you get there, they don't want to get right out and take another 10-15 minutes. For this you need to deduct gas, vehicle cost, advertising, insurance, phones & internet, and wear and tear on equipment, they also paid with a credit card so deduct 3%.

For the record, this is not a rant against anyone. This forum is a great tool and used by many lurkers, and newcomers wondering what things go for. To often we get excited and don't fully think things through. If your new, you don't see all the work that goes into it. Free advice, take it with a grain of salt!!!

Edited by Joseph M., 08 January 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#2 xtpng

xtpng

Friendly Until You Mess w/ My $$$

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

Seems the $100 dollar free delivery bounce house special is very popular for the slow season.

You have 20 minutets for the driver to load the bouncer, double check supplies, and leave home.
You have 30 minutes, knocking on door, setting up unit, going over the safety rules.
You have 30 minutes drive back to shop, maybe you have other rentals, but since it's Tuesday more than likely nothing going on.
You have to leave up overnight with the heat on, it was cold and rainy, so bouncer is wet.

You have close to 4 1/2 hours labor not including arriving early. Plus when you get there, they don't want to get right out and take another 10-15 minutes. For this you need to deduct gas, vehicle cost, advertising, insurance, phones & internet, and wear and tear on equipment, they also paid with a credit card so deduct 3%.

Good points, I agree too I refuse to loose and time from my family especially when they barely see me during the busy season my families time is too precious especially since busy season just around the corner.

#3 bouncyclown

bouncyclown

JOEY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2860 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

For the record, this is not a rant against anyone. This forum is a great tool and used by many lurkers, and newcomers wondering what things go for. To often we get excited and don't fully think things through. If your new, you don't see all the work that goes into it. Free advice, take it with a grain of salt!!!

My reply would simply be are you ONLY willing to work during the good times and high season or not? Are you established enough to forgo these types of off--season rentals? You can also consider if you would make $100 for a normal persons day of work? In Europe this is a typical rental price for your normal jumping castle unit. Granted, we don't have near as high insurance costs, but we do have high fuel prices, much higher then USA. For what we pay for a litre of fuel, you folks get a gallon (about what.. 3 litres?). But, it seems insurance is a killer over there. We pay like a couple of hundred dollars compared to your thousands. So far, I have never turned away a customer. At the moment my units are baby powdered and stored for winter (even my kids donít get such good treatment), but I did have one booking late December for about $100 and so fulfilled the booking and pocketed the cash (which my darling wife then went and spent in under 30 minutes at the mall).

#4 bdsrentals

bdsrentals

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

well also you have to consider market price. what will your market bare? im in mississippi and a 100 dollar bounce house rental is about all the market will bare. so i have to go with what all my competion all over the state goes with.and i do 2 days for the price of one in the winter because unlike other states ms has a great number of people who make under 10 bucks an hour so a 100 bucks a day is a good wage to 90 percent of mississippians. but even though we dont make tons of money here i love my state very much and i choose to work for that price. so i guess for me it depends on location. blake

#5 bouncyclown

bouncyclown

JOEY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2860 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:40 AM

If I may add, there is profit to be made once you pay for the unit in full (including insurance costs, fuel and so forth till date it's all paid for 100%), but till that day there is no profit. Obviously the lower the rental price the longer that day comes, but then again what you want is to rent the silly thing to recoup your investment as quick as possible. This is why going into this for any new comer shouldn't be a mid-life crisis decision, but rather a long term business investment or add-on to your current business, not really a weekend pocket change maker.

#6 Bountiful

Bountiful

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:00 AM

Blake - I would like to see someones cost breakdown and ROI on a $100 rental...even in Mississippi? Bouncerblaster broke it down to about $0 profit. Where are you finding your profit? Anyone interested in doing a cost breakdown for a $100 rental company? I think it would be a benefit to newbies who think they are going to make the entire $100. The lowest I ever go is $120 for a 13x13, and this is for a non-profit. I do this as an Outreach and only in the winter about 4 times per year. I don't see much of a profit in the $120, but it does help cover the insurance in the winter and that's about it.

#7 bdsrentals

bdsrentals

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

well the way i have it figured i have about 16.00 labor in each delivery because we live in a somewhat small town so no traffic and free delivery only within 10 miles everything after that cost 1 dollar a mile coming and going. it takes me about 20 mins to set up a jump tarp stakes and payment. the 16.00 dollars is for a high school kid i have working with me sometimes if he does not work i do them by myself on one truck, my son on the other truck fuel is about 10.00 more or less for each delivery/pickup. insurance is about 1500 a year i have 30 units and i store them all on my property so no warehouse cost. me and my sons do most of the cleaning and i do all office and phone call work so no secretary to pay. and the cost of living here is much less than most states. my wife is a nurse and makes a good living and that takes care of our ins so i figure with labor,ins,cleaning,wear and tear,and i figure 10% misc cost i still should be making 50% or more on each rental. but hey thats just my gorilla math ha ha! but i been at it for only 2 years and i started with 4 units and i have 30 units now with consessions and tables, chairs, ez ups, generators. and i was able to quit a 70k a year job this year to go full time party rentals. i may not be doing the right thing for some people but so far it works for me. im sure i left some cost out somewhere on some stuff but im doing ok with my stuff. thanks to some great info on mwf and a couple of great freinds ive met in the same business that have taken me under there wing. i owe you big guys <you know who you are> thanks blake.

#8 xtpng

xtpng

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

well the way i have it figured i have about 16.00 labor in each delivery because we live in a somewhat small town so no traffic and free delivery only within 10 miles everything after that cost 1 dollar a mile coming and going. it takes me about 20 mins to set up a jump tarp stakes and payment. the 16.00 dollars is for a high school kid i have working with me sometimes if he does not work i do them by myself on one truck, my son on the other truck fuel is about 10.00 more or less for each delivery/pickup. insurance is about 1500 a year i have 30 units and i store them all on my property so no warehouse cost. me and my sons do most of the cleaning and i do all office and phone call work so no secretary to pay. and the cost of living here is much less than most states. my wife is a nurse and makes a good living and that takes care of our ins so i figure with labor,ins,cleaning,wear and tear,and i figure 10% misc cost i still should be making 50% or more on each rental. but hey thats just my gorilla math ha ha! but i been at it for only 2 years and i started with 4 units and i have 30 units now with consessions and tables, chairs, ez ups, generators. and i was able to quit a 70k a year job this year to go full time party rentals. i may not be doing the right thing for some people but so far it works for me. im sure i left some cost out somewhere on some stuff but im doing ok with my stuff. thanks to some great info on mwf and a couple of great freinds ive met in the same business that have taken me under there wing. i owe you big guys <you know who you are> thanks blake.

30 units and you only pay 1500 in insurance, dude who is your carrier and what type of coverage do you have??

I am looking for a new insurer

Gilbert

#9 RogerH

RogerH

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

I would love to find insurance on 30 units for that cheap. I have eleven now and if I purchase this company I have been talking with that will put me up to 30 units. please PM me your insurance company if you don't want to post it.

#10 B N

B N

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thats without inland marine gotta be. My insurance is pretty good also but they go by what you make per year and since I have 10 good weeks and 10 so so weeks and I dont make millions my insurance is low. Try CSI insurance

#11 P-Z

P-Z

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Same here who is your insurance carrier? I pay double for 14 units!

#12 xtpng

xtpng

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Thats without inland marine gotta be. My insurance is pretty good also but they go by what you make per year and since I have 10 good weeks and 10 so so weeks and I dont make millions my insurance is low. Try CSI insurance

We have CIA (Cossio Insurance Agency)and pay way more than what you are paying? So are you saying that CSI fees for the number of units that you have is less than 2500??

PM me if want you share more info.

#13 MWC

MWC

Forum Ambassador

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3221 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

blake, i too would like to know which insurance company you use.

#14 BlasterBouncer.com

BlasterBouncer.com

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

There has to be a problem with that insurance number.

There are lots of threads with cost breakdowns out there. Properly accounting for, delivery of one bounce house in most markets is around $100 to $140 per rental. Just search for cost per delivery, and you'll get a ton of interesting conversations.

Some markets are ruined, particularly some warm weather markets. A good business plan should bring this to light, and I would hope that any potential new operator in a ruined market would think twice before jumping in. Ruined markets are in a perpetual state of shakeout, so building a new business in those environments is really tough.

We run the same prices year round in all our locations. Demand does not change your cost structure.

#15 Castle Party Rentals

Castle Party Rentals

I like pokemon.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4198 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

I think you could make it work if you kept a very small delivery radius and huge quantity.

Personally not for me. I prefer getting $200+ for a bounce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users