32 replies to this topic

#1 Ashlin

Ashlin

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

While having our first state required inspection, our inspector suggested that when we get our stickers from the Texas Dept of Insurance that we don't put them on the units. He said that "kids will have them tore off in no time". He suggested we keep them in an equipment log book that we could show customers at the time of rental; does anyone do this? Do any of my fellow Texans have problems with their TDI stickers coming off? Thanks in advance for the input.

#2 AHB

AHB

Forum Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6602 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

NC uses a plastic clip on the units. They tried the stickers on the blowers a few years ago, but didnt do well. You should have a form with the units listed and the ID # assigned by the state in your possesion at all times as a back up.

#3 KARSCOT-DOTCOM

KARSCOT-DOTCOM

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2359 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

We have a metal plate riveted onto the blower with a corresponding number sewn onto the inflatable

#4 JLMnwlks

JLMnwlks

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

I was told the same by mine. I never put any of my stickers on my units. I have a binder with a picture of each unit, the inspection sticker, inspection paper work, and copies of my insurance. This binder stays in my truck. I also have copies in my office.

He told me that the stickers come off, are peeled off, or even taken off by competitors (public events). And at $45 each it just isn't worth taking a chance.

#5 fulltime

fulltime

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

We made color copies to keep in each clipboard (1 per truck), along with COI, maintenance logs & sales tax permit. When the stickers first started, it was suggested to attach them to blowers. That would have been logistically difficult, back then we still just carried them in trucks, and nothing has changed.

#6 Ashlin

Ashlin

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, gonna go with the suggestions from my Texas friends and create a book to put in the truck. Best of luck yall, have a profitable and safe weekend.

#7 Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

i place the inspection sticker between 2 pieces of clear plastic and screw them onto the blowers.. no kids can get to them with the clear hard piece of plastic on it. The state inspector recommand doing this instead of putting them on the unit. You just have to make sure you use the right blower for the right inflatable.

#8 jerryscott07

jerryscott07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

I am a starting a new inflatable company and I am located in Houston area and I just need some clarification on a few things. I have registered my business with the county clerk and I am unsure how the inspection process works. I am finishing up my application for insurance to be able to send it in today. Any useful information would help. Thanks

Edited by jerryscott07, 30 June 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#9 JLMnwlks

JLMnwlks

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hey Jerry,

What part of Houston are you in?

Once you get your insurance, you can get your units inspected. Below is the contact info for the inspector I use. He is in Dickenson. Get with him, and make sure he is on the approved list for your insurance provider.

Jason Trevino
NAARSO amusement/inflatable inspector
713-816-7288
awsum64@gmail.com

You will also want to forward a copy of your insurance to TDI so they have it on file. You will get a nice little certified letter if you don't do either of the above. I just got one last week for being a few weeks over due on my inspections. Gotta take a day off soon, and have them inspected.

Here is Jennifer's email address from TDI. Jennifer Frasier <Jennifer.Frasier@tdi.state.tx.us>

#10 abc123

abc123

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I am a starting a new inflatable company and I am located in Houston area and I just need some clarification on a few things. I have registered my business with the county clerk and I am unsure how the inspection process works. I am finishing up my application for insurance to be able to send it in today. Any useful information would help. Thanks

You will have to be insured before an inspector will come out. Your insurance will probably give you a list of inspectors that they approve. Not every inspector can inspect for any insurance company.

You will then have to call and set up a date/time with an inspector to come to wherever you setup your inflatables. Most want you to have them all inflated and ready to go. This save them time and you money. On average, most inspectors charge $30 to $50 per inflatable inspection plus travel fees. Mine have always quoted me a price including delivery when I tell them how many units I need inspected.

The will come and inspect your units, do paper necessary to get your tags and send in to the TDI (texas dept. of insurance). You will have to send in the check to the TDI to get them to send you your inspection stickers. The stickers are $40 per inflatable. So between the inspection and cost of sticker you will be out around $75 per inflatable, so 10 inflatables will cost you about $750 to be inspected and get stickers. Can be higher if your inspector charges more per inflatable, this is just and example.

Your insurance agent should be able to answer any questions or call the TDI. Hope this helped.

#11 abc123

abc123

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hey John, you type faster than me.

I also used Jason. Nice guy.

#12 abc123

abc123

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

I want to become an inspector. The bad part is I cannot inspect my own inflatables. :angry2:

#13 jerryscott07

jerryscott07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hey Jerry,

What part of Houston are you in?

Once you get your insurance, you can get your units inspected. Below is the contact info for the inspector I use. He is in Dickenson. Get with him, and make sure he is on the approved list for your insurance provider.

Jason Trevino
NAARSO amusement/inflatable inspector
713-816-7288
awsum64@gmail.com

You will also want to forward a copy of your insurance to TDI so they have it on file. You will get a nice little certified letter if you don't do either of the above. I just got one last week for being a few weeks over due on my inspections. Gotta take a day off soon, and have them inspected.

Here is Jennifer's email address from TDI. Jennifer Frasier <Jennifer.Frasier@tdi.state.tx.us>

I am located in Liberty which is about 45 east of Houston... Thank you so much for the information, you have helped me a lot

#14 abc123

abc123

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

You should do well. Liberty and Dayton has needed a inflatable company for some time. I get calls but it is just to far to drive. We have done some larger events out there but never just a backyard party.

#15 jerryscott07

jerryscott07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

You should do well. Liberty and Dayton has needed a inflatable company for some time. I get calls but it is just to far to drive. We have done some larger events out there but never just a backyard party.

As things are falling into place in my own business, other local inflatable companies are on the rise as well. Competition!!! lol

#16 Guest_mkaraffa_*

Guest_mkaraffa_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I want to become an inspector. The bad part is I cannot inspect my own inflatables. :angry2:

You should come on out to Pennsylvania. We can inspect our own. Just stay out of my area. :assassin: lol

#17 ProParties

ProParties

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

We put ours in a binder as well.

#18 JLMnwlks

JLMnwlks

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have mine in a binder also. I should just leave it at the house. I've never been asked to see them. I even did an event at U of H, and the fire marshall was going to be there to inspect intlatables and tents. He didn't even know inflatables had to have inspection stickers. He told me he just wanted to see the words "Fire Retardant" on the moonwalk. Told me that he even asked around, an no one had a clue that inflatables had inspection stickers.

#19 jerryscott07

jerryscott07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

What if the inspector came out and inspected and then a month or so later I purchased a new bouncer will I have to contact them to come inspect again? How does that work?

Edited by jerryscott07, 05 July 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#20 pastagg81

pastagg81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

My question is this. How are all these other companies saying they are insured yet they aren't inspected? I had a problem with my check to the state and they sent me a letter saying that they needed the money for the inspection stickers. Tells me they were watching. How do these other companies get away with it?? Irritates me that most of us play by the rules and other companies get away with not playing by the same rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users