Photo

Used(2012) Spectrum Sports Zip Line For $35,000 On Usedrides.Com Finally Sold

zipline zip line spectrum sports

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Portable Zip Lines (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own a portable zip line?

1. yes (4 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. no (16 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Do you think your existing clientele would rent/afford a portable zip line if you offered one?

1. yes (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. no (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

I think a 200' Zip Line is

1. A Thrill Ride (15 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Lame (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

If I had a zip line at my event I think the max I would be able to charge per person in my market would be:

1. $2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. $4 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. $5 (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

4. $7 (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

5. $10 (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

6. $15 or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you think the Zip Line hype is here to stay?

1. Yes, these will be popular forever. (11 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. No, you'll find used ones as cheap as used climbing walls in 2 years. (9 votes [45.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Do the economics make sense?

1. Yes, if I had the money I'd throw it at a zip line vs. something else. (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

2. No, I'd rather go buy 20 bouncer/slide combos from Ninja Jump (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Big Bounce Parties

Big Bounce Parties

George wishes he was me....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1805 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

At the end of July a Spectrum Sports Zip Line was listed on usedrides.com for $35,000. I had checked the ad repeatedly since then, talked to the owner previously, and it wasn't 'til today that I noticed that it had finally sold. My understanding is that these are $50,000 brand-new....this one had only been used a month and a half. Improvements made since the one listed included a redesign of the tongue for the trailer turning radius as well as a bar that would allow one vehicle to anchor both cables rather than separate vehicles.

Does this 30% depreciation over such a short period of time seem consistent with other attractions in our industry? I've noticed that this isn't the only one that's been listed on here...I had even seen one in my own state owned by a company I had never heard of....apparently there's a bunch of people that had a lot of money to plunk down.

I'm still trying to figure out what people's take is on this device. I personally don't see the appeal to waiting in line so I can climb up a stairway and then zipline only 200 feet....but then again there's a lot that appeals to the masses that I don't get.....like watching men in tights throwing a ball made of pig skin.

This device requires 4 very cautious people to operate it, a 3/4 ton truck to tow it, and twice as much money as a 4-station bungy trampoline or 5-7 times as much money as that of a used climbing wall.

I'm not so sure we have the clientele that can/will afford such an attraction in my market. I also think that in the next couple of years you'll find a new design twice as high and/or twice as long as the current models will become old news quick. Am I wrong? Do you think these can pay for themselves each year?

Spectrum Sports undoubtedly makes a quality product. I'm just wondering from a money-making standpoint.

Here's their video with testimonials....the video testimonials(2:30) don't seem very convincing....

Edited by Big Bounce Parties, 11 October 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#2 Castle Party Rentals

Castle Party Rentals

I like pokemon.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4198 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

zip line will make you money. 3K per 4 hour rental to colleges and they usually get a whole bunch of other stuff. go for it!

#3 Big Bounce Parties

Big Bounce Parties

George wishes he was me....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1805 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

zip line will make you money. 3K per 4 hour rental to colleges and they usually get a whole bunch of other stuff. go for it!

Do you offer one? Are they renting other stuff that they wouldn't already be getting from you if you didn't have a zip line?

#4 Natalie&Chris

Natalie&Chris

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

I am thinking about financing one at a very low interest rate. Do they make longer than 200' lines? Who owns one? What are the pros and cons?

#5 Amanzi

Amanzi

I work for fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

I just got mine on Sunday and it went out the first time Wednesday evening http://www.facebook.com/StMarysU . Going out a couple more times already this month. Anyone in Texas who want to sub rent the zip line from me give me a call.

http://amanzipartyre...ip-line-rentals

#6 bouncyclown

bouncyclown

JOEY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2860 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Yep, I see no thrill really in that unit or item, way to short for my liking and time to work the thing. I'm sure a Hippo slide would be more exciting. Maybe if you could slam up against that giant target it might be a bit more fun.

#7 natej

natej

I hold a patent on being awesome.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3046 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Keep your audience in mind. If you are a thrill seeker and have lots of experience sky diving, parachuting, rock climbing, bull riding, or other thrilling lifestyles then this ride will not be fun. 99.9% of the other people in the world love this ride. It goes out a ton, and yes, it will depreciate in value, but who cares? I'm making too much on this device to worry about the depreciation of this piece of equipment that I will sell in 10-20 years. We store it inside so I expect to have these a long time.

This is like asking if an electric bull is good enough for rental or if you need a hydraulic bull. For professional bull riders, a hydraulic is more appropriate, yes. For the rest of the people in the world, an electric bull is sufficient, and safe.

#8 AHB

AHB

Forum Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6666 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

What Nate and the others said. Only thing I would add, is I think you would need to make sure this peice fits your market, and that your market is big enough to support the price you have to get for the rental. If I could get $3000 per rental, I would be all over it.

#9 K.E.C. Bob

K.E.C. Bob

Forum Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1897 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I just got mine on Sunday and it went out the first time Wednesday evening http://www.facebook.com/StMarysU . Going out a couple more times already this month. Anyone in Texas who want to sub rent the zip line from me give me a call.

http://amanzipartyre...ip-line-rentals

What manufacture is yours ? how much are you charging?

#10 justintime

justintime

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

I tried Spectrums Zipline at last years IAAPA. I loved it. Check out Extremes Fly Wire Zipline. I think its new this year. Anyone see this unit personally?

http://www.extremeen...ippin-zone.aspx

Edited by justintime, 15 October 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#11 justintime

justintime

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Can anyone add to this thread any experiences in the last two years since the last post?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zipline, zip line, spectrum sports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users