24 replies to this topic

#1 SirBounce-A-Lot

SirBounce-A-Lot

Should have stayed in school

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

This place is a ghost town. Bring back the forum!!
  • JumpAndJamLi, cas and zhart like this

#2 Jump Start

Jump Start

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

less drama than facebook

• SirBounce-A-Lot likes this

#3 Spoiled Rotten

Spoiled Rotten

I am suing nate for patent infringement!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

Would love ro see this as well.
The problem with the forum is
1. Uncontrolled bickering and attitudes
2. No quick notify app or other interface
3. As with facebook...the same questions and the same comments over and over and over...
This industry it is difficult to keep coming up with new conversation topics...i menti9ned at one point having a sponsor a week using live chat and really going in depth about items/software interfaces but nothing came of it.

For the forum to thrive again there have to be some major changes in the whole platform.

Many have moved to facebook interfaces just because of ease of use...

#4 allstarinflatables

allstarinflatables

Dish Washer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2604 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

#MWFMATTERS

Edited by allstarinflatables, 20 December 2016 - 10:43 AM.

• Fern, bud and SirBounce-A-Lot like this

#5 P-Z

P-Z

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

I have to agree on that Tony!

#6 ADB

ADB

Has No Life

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

I think many of the questions about the industry have been asked within the forums (and answered).  Most individuals don't want to have to reply AGAIN, to the SAME question. <sigh>

When I recall an old post I can typically find it faster by searching through google, than finding it using the search feature within the forums.  I think a better search feature would be better for new comers.  Like a Boolean search feature.  However, if you don't know it's there... you don't know to go looking for.

#7 Spoiled Rotten

Spoiled Rotten

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

I think one thing also is to clean up the pinned posts. As well as the bickering posts.
There are some pinned posts that are useful but some such as "CPSC recalls this item" are from 2002 or something.

I cannot remember which of the categories it is but one has so many pinned topics that you cannot even see the new posts until you get to the second page.

Some posts should just have a time stamp, after a certain date it just goes away.

Users should also be required to use their facebook credentials to login with location and an actual name associated with a profile. No more randomly created profiles created for no reason other than to start crap.

I also think that to read beyond a certain point you should either be required to login or create an account....

#8 crystalentertainment

crystalentertainment

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

Make the forum great again.

• KeepitBouncin likes this

#9 Algonzo

Algonzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

Totally new to the inflatable industry but I have owned a very successful margarita machine rental business in the past. Looking to get in to the inflatable business or simply the "party rental business". I came here to learn more about the inflatable industry. As always I spend weeks and weeks reading all the old posts before I start asking questions. From my experience, and I have moderated forums before, what drives people away or discurages people from posting or participating is when you post a question and get a response that says, "use the search button!!". Eventually the archives get so full and all the topics are covered that there simply is no more questions to ask. Sometimes its good to re-ask a question. It helps ignite new conversations. Anyways... Just me 2 cents.
  • KeepitBouncin likes this

#10 HEC BRIAN

HEC BRIAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I remember back when I was first made aware of this forum and how excited I was that our industry had such a venue for discussion.  Unfortunately, that feeling didn't last too long as I soon realized the site was totally dominated by a very small number of people who apparently have very little to do other than comment and involve themselves in every single conversation regardless of the topic.  Within that group was a small cliché of people who feel the need to be negative, rude, belligerent, hostile and domineering to anyone who's new or calls them out on their bull manure.  Just like the EPA Facebook page now, there's over 2000 "members" and yet the entire page is dominated by a very tiny minority who believe that every post requires their 2 cents.  And whoa be to thee who disagrees with them, especially if you're a member of the dark side, otherwise known as a manufacturer.  Sure, there are some really good people out there also, but their voices are rarely heard above the din of all the discord that's so commonplace these days. 

In my not so humble opinion, it's primarily this adversarial attitude that causes most members, in particular the manufacturers and their reps to avoid these forums and related Facebook pages like the plague.  As a customer, you can rip us, denigrate us and trash us to your hearts content whether we deserve it or not.  Of course there are circumstances when a public calling out might be deserved, but from what I see most of the time it's not a fair venue and manufacturers are at a very distinct disadvantage when trying to legitimately defend themselves.   Maybe that's what everyone wants, maybe not, but there are just too many minefields out there to allow for manufacturers to participate in any truly relevant discussions regarding industry representation, government regulations, safety, design and engineering standards, documentation or any other relevant subject that might actually improve the industry at large. 

It's a shame really when you consider that social media such as this forum, Facebook, Twitter, etc., can be a great venue for sharing ideas, thoughts and information, but as it is with most things involving humans, it has become manipulated, twisted and corrupted by a select few who only know how to tear others down in their attempts to build themselves up.  It would certainly be great if things were to change, but I don't see it happening.

Anyway, that's my final 2 cents for 2016.  I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season and here's to an excellent 2017!

• Party Harbor likes this

#11 CapitolOnlineAuctions

CapitolOnlineAuctions

Forum Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

Well said, Brian

#12 KeepitBouncin

KeepitBouncin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

I hope the industry is not heading for the same fate.....

#13 mosthighjump

mosthighjump

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:04 AM

Forum is dead, use to be a part of my day, not a anymore.....
Need a forum revival!

#14 Big Bounce Parties

Big Bounce Parties

Silicone Parts are Made for Toys!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

People are going to get sick of the Facebook thing really quick....it's not the proper medium for discussion of topics related to our industry...more-so just a place to bull-XXXX.  If I were a sponsor I would not find the Facebook page to be of any interest/value.

#15 Spoiled Rotten

Spoiled Rotten

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Brian, I could not agree more. Human nature is to be negative and that is exactly what happens to just about every post here and on the facebook interface.
Sadly there is no way to moderate every comment and you are right. I have seen many a manufacturer raked over the coals for minimal issues and the worst part is they post it on a public forum before they ever try to resolve the issue directly with the manufacturer.
I had suggested a "topic of the week" where each sponsor got a week to highlight what they wanted. To me, it would help "humanize" the manufacturer. Many people think you are just getting rich at $3k for a water slide sale....about as broke as I get by renting that slide for $300...

I hate where the forum has gone. Maybe some uf us can brainstorm and bring it back. I am part of the Facebook groups but I do not enjoy that interface nearly as much.

It is funny that you talk about the select few. I cannot agree more, and how up in arms do they get when something they said gets "pooffed"

At times it was just an extension of their high school behavior.

Lets get some people together and make the forum really relevent again!
  • zhart likes this

#16 Fern

Fern

Vinyl Changed My Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Just checking-in, didn't expect to see this...Glad others are here.
  • Chicago MoonWalks likes this

#17 ATBNO

ATBNO

ATB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

I think one major problem is the negativity. But the second is that most of the admins are no longer involved in the forum. Half have not logged in for 6 months. To be a admin, you need to be involved. The owner and the admins should be on here responding everyday.
  • P-Z likes this

#18 P-Z

P-Z

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Negativity is very annoying, especially when someone is selling something for a price some consider too high.  No need to comment just keep scrolling if you think its high.  Or if someone has a question that may have been asked then they get bashed for not using the search function which doesnt work that well any longer.  Joe is right, we need more involvement and manufacturer interaction would be great too. 

I remember I used to log on and see pages of new content and now you're lucky if you see two posts. 

#19 Spoiled Rotten

Spoiled Rotten

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

I think one major problem is the negativity. But the second is that most of the admins are no longer involved in the forum. Half have not logged in for 6 months. To be a admin, you need to be involved. The owner and the admins should be on here responding everyday.

In a way I agree. However everyone has to understand, as a admin/moderator our time is donated to try and regulate.

At one point there was a lot of discussion by the admins about how to control the problem children however that was shot down at every junction.

There were 5 or 6 new mods created about 6 months before the forum started to fade. We put our fingers in the damn but it was already way broken. I think there is a way to get the forum active again but it is goint to take the effort of many not just the admins.

We used to have chat nights and contests and a lit of discussion. It seems that many in charge just lost interest.

I am still on here but I have a fairly large business to run and I find my time less and less available. Others have for the most part dropped out because for lack of a better word it gets boring. Many of the questions are the same day after day. It is the same on the fb group as well.
I enjoy this forum but time is limited these days.

#20 zhart

zhart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

I had suggested a "topic of the week" where each sponsor got a week to highlight what they wanted. To me, it would help "humanize" the manufacturer. Many people think you are just getting rich at $3k for a water slide sale....about as broke as I get by renting that slide for $300...

Great suggestion on the humanizing the manufacturer part! What topics would be valuable to discuss since a secondary concern is the same old topics being rehashed again and again? Just adding to the brainstorm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users