#1 kim4D&N

kim4D&N

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

Good Afternoon.

I am in GA and just recently purchased an Inflatable business. I then added a trackless train(Royal Train Rides), as the person I purchased the business from had an old hand build train but I wanted a nicer new one. Because I had the train, I won a bid with a larger event with a church with my Inflatables & the new train. I was then contacted by the GA Dept of Transportation. Was told that I could not operate my Train without the proper permits. That the train was considered an Amusement Park Ride and had to be inspected by an inspector from the GA Dept. - upon inspection would receive a Tag to be posted on the ride at all times while in operation. Then once the paper work was complete and the proper Insurance was obtained I would then be sent a permit. In the paper work they asked for a list of all places where the Ride will be set up, and to send them a schedule for where /when any events would be held.

They said they required a 1,000,000 insurance policy - Per rider, per incident. I was panicked - The event was the next day.. I got the inspection done on a rush & was in luck the inspector was in my area. He came by did the inspection, I got my tag License plate and the paperwork was put on rush.. The Dept of Trans. approved a 1 day operation - since it was already scheduled. But the insurance was another issue...

My policy reads 100,000. each occurrence with per person 50,000 and 1,000,000 Aggregate .

I priced a 1,000,000 per person policy and it was like 15,000 - & that's about what the train cost me.

Issue.. I am a small business - My train has goes out maybe once every other month...in the busy season.. And sits in the driveway the rest of the year. I only make about $350.00 for each 2 hour rental, and again it's only been out 3 times - twice in Oct when I first got it - then once in Nov.

There are only 1 or 2 other companies that I know of in the area, that have a train.. & as far as I know neither have this Permit/License. Has anyone heard of this Special Permit/license..

I found out later that the person who had the job with the church got mad when they lost the bid to me and turned in me and the church to the inspector’s office.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of this Special Permit/license "law" for Trackless Trains.. The insurance issue is still bothering me - I just can't do 15,000 yr. for a 1,000,000 Train Only insurance when I only make 1,000 on the train.. Any Help Suggestion? The train is great for the larger event - People love it and it gets me the jobs for the larger Inflatable events.

Any Help or Advice is appreciated..

Thanks, Kim : }

Attached Files

#2 kenmartin

kenmartin

Safety Consultant / Inspector

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

Yes a trackless train in an amusement ride/device. The people you purchased it from should have told you that. You can find out more about Georgia rules and regs from this link.

http://www.saferpark...php?agencyID=11

#3 johnroach100

johnroach100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have a few mechanical rides so I get inspected annually. They are pretty good to work with, but it gets a little more detailed each year but nothing unreasonable. I have a train but it runs on tracks so the insurance isn't bad. I would shop for insurance, maybe contact Royal Rides and see if they can suggest anybody.

There are a few around me who run with no insurance or inspection but I know in time it'll catch up with them.

#4 crystalentertainment

crystalentertainment

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

:pardon: That really seems pretty reasonable actually. You really have to research every large item you purchase before jumping into such a large and risky venture. Here in MA it is almost the same exact way. You really only have two choices find better insurance that covers this sort of item which I would think would not be that difficult to find or sell them off if the risk is to high.

DJ Jeff

#5 kim4D&N

kim4D&N

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:05 AM

ood Morning..

Thanks for all you input & advice -I just wanted to make sure I did everything right!! Now knowing what I know.. I now have all the proper Insurance, Licenses & Permits- My train is ready to roll.. 2008 is going to be Great! Now I think I am the only Tracless Train South of ATL that is operating "Legal". Now- just to get it out of the Driveway & at the events... I think I will ride around town pass the ballparks & Grocery Stores- pulling my big Trailer(8 x20) & Train and pass out business Cards.

Attached Files

Edited by kim4D&N, 25 March 2008 - 06:07 AM.

#6 trolo5

trolo5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

ood Morning..

Thanks for all you input & advice -I just wanted to make sure I did everything right!! Now knowing what I know.. I now have all the proper Insurance, Licenses & Permits- My train is ready to roll.. 2008 is going to be Great! Now I think I am the only Tracless Train South of ATL that is operating "Legal". Now- just to get it out of the Driveway & at the events... I think I will ride around town pass the ballparks & Grocery Stores- pulling my big Trailer(8 x20) & Train and pass out business Cards.

We have a trackless train and the same type of icident happened to us. We were turned in by a group of people becuase we were in there area. The inspecter actully closed us down for that gig, because we didn't have an amusement tag. I asked the inspector why ponies next door didn['t have a sticker on thier all butts. He left it at that and I've never ran into that problem again. Check Scottsdale Ins.

#7 edjewcollins

edjewcollins

Super User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:28 AM

I would return the favor on the other companies with trains.

#8 AkaReaper

AkaReaper

Senior Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:33 AM

Yep, like Ed said, dime them all out. Turn them in. Fair is fair.

#9 The Starz

The Starz

Yuuuuuup

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4413 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

Do what they said....I hate people that do that to each other..

#10 kim4D&N

kim4D&N

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

Good Afternoon All..

Thanks for all the positives.. I actually got a flyer in the mail this past weekend from a company that just popped up and is promoting a Trackless Train and 4 jumpers. I called them.. Asked about their prices & if they were certified by the State..There response was ..Ohh We don't have to be, but we have insurance. I hated it when I was turned in, but .. is fair fair.. should I call the State?? or let it be.. Their prices on the Train are the same as mine and a little less on the jumpers. I kinda just want to let it be.. and post on my website..that I am the only operator South of ATL that is permitted. What cha think??

Thanks again, Kim : }

#11 AHB

AHB

Forum Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6698 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

If your state requires it, I would turn them in.

#12 AkaReaper

AkaReaper

Senior Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

No excuse for not abiding by the law, make the call.

#13 ACP

ACP

Has No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4537 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

no exuses. turn em in

#14 jayt

jayt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

no exuses. turn em in

So they are charging the same amount and dont have to deal with the hastles you had to deal with it hardly seems fair! tTurn them in! Thats like these guys that run without insurance for bouncers and I have to keep my prices in line with theirs to compete! This business is BS!

#15 partytrains

partytrains

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

no exuses. turn em in

So they are charging the same amount and dont have to deal with the hastles you had to deal with it hardly seems fair! tTurn them in! Thats like these guys that run without insurance for bouncers and I have to keep my prices in line with theirs to compete! This business is BS!

I think customers would be more understanding of pricing when they realize the cost of insurance and licenses.

#16 Cossio Insurance Agency

Cossio Insurance Agency

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:03 AM

Insurance for trackless trains is not $15,000 if you deal with someone who insures them regularly. It should be from $2500-5000 per year max depending on what state you operate in.

Now be careful with policies that have a sublimit per person. Sure it might be a $1,000,000 policy but if it has a sublimit it will never pay $1,000,000 to that person or their estate. There is only one company that I know of that offers that sublimit type of coverage and I would no offer that to my customers because of the lack of proper limits.

Larry Cossio
Cossio Insurance Agency
www.weinsureinflatables.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users